Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

clogged radiator

Options
geoffm
geoffm Member Posts: 1
i have a radiator with 4 sections with 5 tubes/section but has water coming out the vent. the radiator is tilted to drain. i think the radiator has a blockage, since it heats unevenly, first the top, then the bottom, then (after quite a while) the middle of the middle 2 sections. can this be fixed or is it likely hard rust? appreciate your help

Comments

• jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Is this 1-pipe steam? Do other radiators have water coming out of the vents? Steam radiators do not typically become blocked with rust or scale but sometimes the steam supply valve breaks and part of it falls and can block or partially block the valve. This could potentially prevent the condensate from draining out. If you want to rule this out, I suggest you disconnect and move the radiator and look at the valve. If the valve is ok then there may be other issues with your system which people here can help diagnose.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Very unlikely to be a problem with the radiator itself. However, there are a number of other problems which could cause this. The radiator may be pitched, but are all the pipes leading to it properly pitched? Is the vent working properly? What pressure is the system as a whole running at? And then there is the valve possibility as @jhewings mentioned -- it might be broken, or it might just not be fully open?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    a 200 degree enenma for 50+ years, don't think it is a clog. Unless it has been removed.