Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any idea how I can fix this leak in my sewage pump?

bender1227
bender1227 Member Posts: 50
It looks like one of the gaskets has a leak in it.
It looks like it's coming from where the PCV pipe is coming out. Can I just reseal that with sometime of waterproof caulk?

Here is a picture of the leak.

https://imgur.com/a/0zOf3f1

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Maybe. However, a much better solution would be to determine which gasket or o-ring has failed -- if one has -- and take it apart and fix it properly. On the other hand, it is possible that something has cracked -- and that should be replaced.

In both cases the best course is to disassemble it and figure out what isn't sealing as it should, and fix it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    bender1227
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I assume this is leaking above the lid of the pit.
    That looks like a check valve in the pipe, some are just connected with rubber boots held in place by SS clamps.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If that is a true sewage connected to a WC in the basement, then it will have "brown" water & "stuff" in it.

If you flush the WC several times that will clear up the water a lot.

The pipe above it is full of sewage water.

It looks like you have a valve above the check valve that would keep most of the water from coming down from the riser. Hopefully the valve will function. Be sure you unplug the pump and certainly re-open the valve before plugging back in.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    JUGHNE said:

I assume this is leaking above the lid of the pit.
    That looks like a check valve in the pipe, some are just connected with rubber boots held in place by SS clamps.

It looks like the hose clamps might be missing. It looks like that valve is resilient and should have clamps on it, it doesn't look like it is solvent welded in.
  • bender1227
    bender1227 Member Posts: 50

Maybe. However, a much better solution would be to determine which gasket or o-ring has failed -- if one has -- and take it apart and fix it properly. On the other hand, it is possible that something has cracked -- and that should be replaced.

In both cases the best course is to disassemble it and figure out what isn't sealing as it should, and fix it.

If I take it apart how can I test which o-ring or gasket has failed? Would it just be obvious by that component being destroyed?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    How old is that check valve?
    On sewage ejectors the often use a rubber flapper type check in a plastic body. They hold up better to sewage and gases. Sometimes that flapper is part of or a one piece that makes up the gasket where the valve is assembled

A new plastic check, held in place with multiple hose clamps is not very expensive. Measure the length and buy a new one. With the gate valve above it

should be an easy replacement
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    PC7060
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    From zooming in on your posted picture. This leak is coming from the swing check valve and not the pump.

The good news is that it is easy to replace.
    This check valve or one like it is a good replacement. It is offered in two pipe sizes all included and uses two fernco couplings for the piping.