Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water dripping sound inside exhaust fans

Happy Saturday everybody!

Early this morning I heard water dripping sound inside all exhaust fans on the 2nd floor (bathrooms, laundry room, restrooms). There was no water coming out of the fan down to the floor. I turned on all the fans for 30 mins. Dripping sound stopped around noon.

I am wondering what the cause was? Is this something I can fix myself or I need to call a contractor?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Um... obvious question. Had it rained? Perhaps with a wind? So that rain water might have gotten into the exhaust trunking?

Of -- has it been particularly humid, and the building air conditioned, to cause condensation in the exhausts?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Early morning condensation , to fix the problem AC
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Both the condensation and rain issues kind of point to maybe the dampers aren't working.
  • tomtomtom
    tomtomtom Member Posts: 35

Um... obvious question. Had it rained? Perhaps with a wind? So that rain water might have gotten into the exhaust trunking?

Of -- has it been particularly humid, and the building air conditioned, to cause condensation in the exhausts?

No it has not rained for months. The house is in a dry climate, humidity is usually below 40%. Thanks
    Big Ed_4 said:

Early morning condensation , to fix the problem AC

Thanks! I've just heard the water drop in the laundry room fan after we finished doing the laundry