Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: The Foundry

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited June 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

The Foundry

Boilers don’t come from catalogs. In this episode, Dan Holohan takes you to a foundry where boilers are born.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.
PC7060

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    That was wonderful, @DanHolohan . Truly, these are the people -- and many others like them, the farmers, the railroad men, the iron men in wooden ships, the pioneers -- who built this country of ours, and who God willing, will be able to keep it going.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Thanks, Jamie. We truly are a family. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @DanHolohan

Did you ever see the old HB Smith foundry in Westfield, MA? We toured that when it was still in operation as a field trip when I was in school. Probably 1972ish.

It was like a flashback to the 1800s. At least it seemed that way to me because I don't remember the 1800s LOL.

Hotter than hell and very noisy and machines run by huge flat belts with no guards. Pre OSHA for sure. An interesting but scary place
    reggi
  • DanHolohan
    I visited after it had shut down. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I visited and toured the Boyertown plant in the early 70's with a group from OCPS. Ed Collins led the group. He passed 3 weeks ago.
  • DanHolohan
    RIP, Ed. He was one of the good ones. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    great story.

Jake
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 903
    After I was hired by the company CS&E, Pittsburgh, Pa. back in 1974 I, like @EBEBRATT-ED got to visit the H B Smith Boiler company in Westfield, Ma. We were one of the biggest suppliers of their boilers and they wanted us to see the whole operation, which we did. I was impressed with the operation.