Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PEX for Hydronic Distribution Piping

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited June 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
PEX for Hydronic Distribution Piping

PEX is a viable option for a variety of hydronic distribution-piping applications on both residential and commercial projects. With its durability, flexibility, range of sizes, system-performance characteristics and labor-saving benefits, PEX need no longer take a back seat to traditional metallic materials in the design and installation of a distribution piping system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• geo_1111
    geo_1111 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you for describing the versatility and potential for designing a simple efficient distribution system with pex. I'm a remodeling contractor with a bsme and my project at the moment is a victorian rehab.I find when I do a search for pex heating distribution 4 story building, radiant heating is returned. I'm sure my novice application of boolean operators is responsible for this. Could you direct me to a resource for designing 4 stories of riser and branch baseboard distribution. I've found this site informative at every encounter, sincerely George m Dalton. my email address is:geonoley@gmail.com
    My customer has to buy materials from some source I'm in Connecticut.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Either Uponor or Viega has design services for your needs, and services your market location.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    While I don't doubt the authors knowledge, the larger sizes of pex coils I would not describe them as very flexible.

A 400-foot-long coil of 3" pex is going to weigh a lot, take a lot of manpower and equipment to install.

Two men on a lift can easily install 20' lengths of pex or copper or steel pipe
    Zmanmattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    geo_1111 said:

Thank you for describing the versatility and potential for designing a simple efficient distribution system with pex. I'm a remodeling contractor with a bsme and my project at the moment is a victorian rehab.I find when I do a search for pex heating distribution 4 story building, radiant heating is returned. I'm sure my novice application of boolean operators is responsible for this. Could you direct me to a resource for designing 4 stories of riser and branch baseboard distribution. I've found this site informative at every encounter, sincerely George m Dalton. my email address is:geonoley@gmail.com

My customer has to buy materials from some source I'm in Connecticut.

The design is mostly the same as any other hydronic system. Fittings are a bit different but the topology and sizing is the same as if it were copper or black iron. Technically it could sometimes be smaller because of the reduction in fittings.