Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's In The Way?

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited June 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
imageWhat's In The Way?

Tough job site conditions call for creative workarounds.

Read the full story here

Roohollah

Comments

• Rusty2
    Rusty2 Member Posts: 69
    Beautiful story Dan. If we could stand in each others shoes for just a moment I wonder what would happen. Or could we have a shoe appreciation day every once in awhile.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Yes!
    Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Best part about working at Holy Cross was the coffee shop/bakery/breakfast stop Culpeppers Bakery just down the street. Was that one of your stops @DanHolohan?
  • DanHolohan
    It wasn’t, @EBEBRATT-Ed, but thanks for the inspiration!
    Retired and loving it.
  • mvickers
    mvickers Member Posts: 30
    No umbrellas?! Why?
  • ronewold
    ronewold Member Posts: 7
    When I am not tinkering with machinery, I make a meager living as a freelance musician (the French horn, which is just very fancy plumbing, by the way). I lived in Boston for many years and did every possible playing and teaching job I could find in order to make ends meet. and for a decade or more, Holy Cross was in my circuit. In addition to teaching a horn lesson or two, I played in the band annually for every graduation there, rain or shine, and that decade or so seemed like a century to me. I got sunburned or soaked just about every year. You are right that they hated to have the event inside (from what I understand, they would catch hell from the families for the lack of space in the gym), but they did do it in there once or twice (it must have been raining fire and brimstone outside). In the gym the weather was much more predictable- crowded and steamy. I vividly remember the Chris Matthews year, both because of the weather and because he was such an entertaining speaker. I have played hundreds of graduations now, and he remains my favorite speaker of them all. I always give extra points to speakers who get the job done fast, and he did that, and the speech was good too.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    edited June 2022
    Umbrellas block the soggy view.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    @ronewold, thanks for that!
    Retired and loving it.
  • mattman
    mattman Member Posts: 18
    My 4 oldest went to University of Dayton. They had a student area just off campus called "The Ghetto". It was a mix of ragtag old houses the University had bought over the years. My dad would say the houses were built by "drunken carpenters". I remember one house had a floor sloped to the outside wall, I guess so the spilled beer would run out. And another with an 8 foot bathroom door frame that a genius had put a 7 foot door in; quite the luxury living. But the students all loved them, the big deal was the front porches where they all hung out.
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    Thanks for sharing . As I was reading the story , I felt how difficult every step of the job was. It was really interesting to me .
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Hey, @Roohollah, how are you holding up in your end of the world? Looks like we're right at the top of the roller coaster here, I'm wondering what things look like in a place that isn't the US.
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    Hi mate , as for here , things get change every day , we get used to it . I am alright and have been still striving for doing better work and take proudly some leaves out of American heating and plumbing industries . I do thank you all for the support and the valuable experiences sharing with me . I wish that the situation got better and safer . Thanks a bunch , stay safe , Roohollah
    ratio