Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydro Stat 3250/Taco 6 zone relay

Bill Julian
Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
Wiring: I got WGO-5 going in next week all good except wiring. 6 zone taco relay with priority with existing indirect HW.
I got XX (end switch) on the taco and TT on Hydrostat 3250. I also have the ZC/ZR not exactly sure how to properly wire this?? Grats...

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Leave “ZC” & “ZR” jumpered together, nothing else on them.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPA
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    ZR on the Hydrostat must get wired in parallel to the hot for the indirect. This way the Hydrostat sees a domestic call and overrides any economy or ODR settings. 
    CTOilHeatSTEVEusaPA
  • Bill Julian
    Thanks Iron man above says leave ZC and ZR jumped. The book does says run a wire from ZR to indirect pump hot. Sounds like there is disagreement out there. But thanks HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    Thanks Iron man above says leave ZC and ZR jumped. The book does says run a wire from ZR to indirect pump hot. Sounds like there is disagreement out there. But thanks HVACNUT
    I think @Ironman was referring to ZR,ZC in the zone panel and that is correct. 
  • Bill Julian
    edited June 2022
    Ya maybe. You'd think I would not need the ZR connection on the 3250 if I use the priority switch in the PRIORITY position is in the on position on the Taco relay.
  • Bill Julian
    HVACNUT
    If you got to page previous to the one you sent above (Page 4 I believe) the diagram shows ZC/ZR both terminals being connected to Cir relay for indirect, yet page 5 only shows ZR used and not ZC together.
    Little confused.
  • Bill Julian
    One other observation. C1/C2 are not used when Taco relay used I believe. Not sure how the 3200 reacts to this. What I have now is Priority switch set to "I" for indirect, ZR terminal connected to indirect cir hot, and TT to XX. I think C1/C2 do not have to be used when using multiple zones.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    hi zc/zr are 120 volts in and 120 volts out. the jumper allows 120 volts to jump from ZR to ZC to energize the control. Normally, jumper is left in place when using low voltage XX to TT on aquastat control. if you need 120volts when ever there is a demand, you can run a minimum 14 gauge wire from ZR/ZC with jumper left in place to Circulator. Keep in mind ZR will be hot a demand from any zone. the rest of the wiring should be straight forward. XX is a dry switch emulating thermostat, and normally wired to TT on boiler aquastat to pull in boiler on demand from any zone. Hopefully this was helpfull. If you have additional questions, please contact taco Tech support at 401-942-8000, and ask for Tech support.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Bill Julian
    Thanks actually I am changing the system using zone valve using a 6-zone taco zone control board. Might have a question for ya. Thanks!
  • Bill Julian
    Who knows how to wire specifically a Taco ZVC406-3 Zone control board to WGO-5 using Hydrostat 3200. I have one circ on the boiler pulling all 6 zone valves?
  • Bill Julian
    I actually have it figured
  • HVACNUT
    I actually have it figured
    Well I'm glad you do because I'm lost now. 
    You went from a 3250 to a 3200 (oil to gas). And who knew it was it was a ZVC panel?
  • Bill Julian
    My bad its a 3200 hydrostat being used on the WGO-5. Customer however changed the config he wants all zone valves. So I have one circ (Taco 0010) pulling the 5 zones. Taco gives a pretty good sketch of the wiring.
  • Bill Julian
    Sorry HVACNUT it is a 3250...lots of confusion but the hydrostat IS a 3250
    Here it is:
    HydroStat Model 3250-Plus Fuel Smart Hydrostat for Oil Boilers (Temperature Limit, LWCO, & Boiler Reset Control)
    **Disregard other comments about the 3200
  • HVACNUT
    Sorry HVACNUT it is a 3250...lots of confusion but the hydrostat IS a 3250 Here it is: HydroStat Model 3250-Plus Fuel Smart Hydrostat for Oil Boilers (Temperature Limit, LWCO, & Boiler Reset Control) **Disregard other comments about the 3200
    So this is the diagram to be followed. The Taco ZVC is a little different than the one shown (terminals for end switches) but easy enough. Maybe a variable speed circulator would be better?
  • Bill Julian
    edited June 2022
    Ya I see that difference. ZVC has no ZR ZC but uses end switches as seen here for priority zone 6 DHW. The diagram above does not include the 2 circs (dhw and system circ) only shows system circ.
    I'll have 2 circs so the ZVC diagram explains it better however the ZR ZC switches get me a little cloudy if asleep in one eye.
  • Bill Julian
    edited June 2022
    Ya a 0010 used for circulation with 5 zone valves, sixth zone a circ for DHW.
  • Bill Julian
    edited June 2022
    This the ZVC
  • Bill Julian