Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Loud fan noise from the AC unit outside

Happy Friday everyone! 

My AC is working and cooling the house but it has really loud noise. You can watch the video here

One of the air vents in the bedroom also has a strange sound when spinning

Is there anything I can do? Thanks

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Is the fan spinning at the speed it normally does? is the noise from the fan or from the compressor? the fan not moving enough air can make the compressor make weird noises.
    tomtomtom
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Overcharged system due to undersized ducts can cause that sound. 
    tomtomtomSTEVEusaPA
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    it actually sounds like your evaporator might be frozen and your slugging refrigerant back to the compressor. i really can't make it out but it looks like the suction might be frozen inside the condenser below the fan. frozen coil doesn't make sense if your haven't noticed any lack of air but if its overcharged it would do the same thing but im assuming you wouldn't be on here asking if you had a tech there before the post. thats why im leaning the other way
    tomtomtom
  • mattmia2
    Wouldn't inadequate airflow in the condenser because the motor cap is bad cause the same effect as overcharged?
    tomtomtom
  • mattmia2
    Make sure you have y and g in the right places everywhere after your t-stat adventure too
    tomtomtom
  • tomtomtom
    tomtomtom Member Posts: 35
    Thanks everyone! Looks like it's time to call a contractor as everything you all said were way over my head :)
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    bad motor capacitor?
  • tomtomtom
    tomtomtom Member Posts: 35
    We had a contractor came out today to do the regular maintenance. The noise was caused by loose screws making metal parts rubbing each others so it was an easy fix.
    HVACNUTSTEVEusaPA
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Thank you for the follow up. Nice to hear.
    tomtomtom