Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rust in new oil tank

Options
MaxMercy
MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
I had a new oil tank delivered, and before I connected it, I punched out the four pressed in inserts and noticed about a cup of rusty water coming out of the bottom oil line. I looked inside and there is considerable flash rust over most of the interior.

I've never dealt with a new oil tank and don't know if this is normal.

This is the "front" side of the tank, the back side is much cleaner as if it was stood up on the front side. Opinions?

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,137
    Options
    Yup, they do not store them out of the weather or shrink wrap them.
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    edited May 2022
    Options
    That has been hanging around for awhile. Supply houses go through alot of tanks has to be old stock, the ouside must look questionable as well. Send it back.
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    BDR529 said:

That has been hanging around for awhile. Supply houses go through alot of tanks has to be old stock, the ouside must look questionable as well. Send it back.

The outside is perfect. Even the labels are clean. Sending it back won't be easy. Unfortunately, I didn't check it when it was dropped off in my driveway but only after I paid some guys to put it in my basement.

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,583
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I would try spaying with rustoleum rust disolver. Then fill with oil. It will be fine. The bottom looks good and that is what usually rusts out from moisture in oil.
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,137
    Options
    Me, I would send it back in any case and invest in the Highland Tank within a tank
    that I uploaded here in a pdf but that's me.
    The rust in that tank took a long time to form even with the plugs and who knows
    how long that tank has been out in the weather.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    The tank is fine. even if that tank was out in the weather for 2 years, not a big deal.

I have installed tanks that have been out in the weather for over 30 years and they are still good. The rust you show here is minimal in reference to the total thickness of that tank. You are using it in a basement, so there will be much less condensation happening in any of the tanks I installed outdoors above ground.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 590
    Options
    Any concerns of the paint (?) thats looking all furry in the photo breaking off into the oil ? The filter will catch it of course, but is that too much to make it thru a winter without clogging the filter ?
    Is there enough room to tip it back up onto that face ? Maybe a rinse with a rust neutralizer, then drain it back out.
    My larger concern would be the move by insurance companies to ban single wall tanks (is it ?).
    Would hate to install and then ins co says no way.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    In_New_England