Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hy-vent dripping

Options
mmvpp
mmvpp Member Posts: 8
edited April 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi,
There are 2 hy vents in my system and one of them is leaking water from the cap. The 2 hy vents are very close to each other. The dripping one is the one near the bolier and the second one is right before the zone valves and above the tank. I was just wondering whether they are redundant and I can just simply tighten the leaking one (red circle) and have the other one do the work? I am attaching a photo.
BTW, I think there is a shutoff valve (blue one) for the hy-vent?? Maybe I can just shut it off and replace the vent?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    You can pipe them with mini shut offs. But in reality, they are a poor way to remove air from the system.
    If you have to drain the system anyway you'd be wise to make a few upgrades:
    -Remove the air scoop for a micro reabsorber, get rid of the hy-vents. That's all the air elimination you'll need.
    -Add a Webstone expansion tank valve, for easy checking and eventually replacement of your expansion tank.
    You could just replace the one vent, but it's probably doing nothing.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,170
    Options
    It looks like there was a low water shut-off safety device to the right of the vent that needs attention. If you don't have one anywhere else on the boiler I would consider putting one back there.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
    Options
    Eliminate the one that is not on the purger. Always good to have a valve or service check for this reason
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,556
    Options
    @mmvpp

If your system is working ok screw the cap on tight and let it go until summer
  • rerjr0929
    rerjr0929 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have one of those Hy-Vent air valves on above the air purge on my system. It's been seeping water recently. I tried tightening down the little cap, but it is vented - the water still seeps through. Does it need to be replaced, or can I remove it; clean it; and re-install? Thanks.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,693
    Options
    maybe. sometimes you can clean whatever is making it not seal. they aren't expensive.