Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hy-vent dripping

Options
mmvpp
mmvpp Member Posts: 8
edited April 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi,
There are 2 hy vents in my system and one of them is leaking water from the cap. The 2 hy vents are very close to each other. The dripping one is the one near the bolier and the second one is right before the zone valves and above the tank. I was just wondering whether they are redundant and I can just simply tighten the leaking one (red circle) and have the other one do the work? I am attaching a photo.
BTW, I think there is a shutoff valve (blue one) for the hy-vent?? Maybe I can just shut it off and replace the vent?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You can pipe them with mini shut offs. But in reality, they are a poor way to remove air from the system.
    If you have to drain the system anyway you'd be wise to make a few upgrades:
    -Remove the air scoop for a micro reabsorber, get rid of the hy-vents. That's all the air elimination you'll need.
    -Add a Webstone expansion tank valve, for easy checking and eventually replacement of your expansion tank.
    You could just replace the one vent, but it's probably doing nothing.
    steve
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,159
    Options
    It looks like there was a low water shut-off safety device to the right of the vent that needs attention. If you don't have one anywhere else on the boiler I would consider putting one back there.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    Eliminate the one that is not on the purger. Always good to have a valve or service check for this reason
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    @mmvpp

If your system is working ok screw the cap on tight and let it go until summer
  • rerjr0929
    rerjr0929 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I have one of those Hy-Vent air valves on above the air purge on my system. It's been seeping water recently. I tried tightening down the little cap, but it is vented - the water still seeps through. Does it need to be replaced, or can I remove it; clean it; and re-install? Thanks.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    maybe. sometimes you can clean whatever is making it not seal. they aren't expensive.