Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam techs that fly?

SeanBeans
SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
Was wondering if there are any fellow Wallie's that have taken up Paragliding or Hangliding as a hobby? Would love to link up if there happens to be more than one of us! Heard a song called "steam powered aero plane" and it make me think of Dan Holohan and everyone here at HeatingHelp! Cheers!

Comments

• SeanBeans
    :)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Don't do paragliding or hang gliding -- but I was an active pilot for 60 years, before I lost my medical, and I warn you: flying is addictive. Once you start, you'll never ever want to stop.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GGrosskcopp
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I have about 80 hrs in bugsmashers, and agree with Jamie, it's highly addictive! Does tend to hurt the wallet though :D
    reggiPC7060
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Then we could fly from job to job :)
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574

Then we could fly from job to job :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Erj_mz30SDI
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @mattmia2

looks like the Wright brothers
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I'm more of a bottom feeder. While aerial views are cool, the view from below the surface is unrivaled in my mind. That first breath underwater was a high I'll never reach again
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    We used to have an @icesailor on the Wall.
    steve
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Does anyone know what became of Icesailor?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, I think icesailor became a bit too possessive of this place and was asked to move on... or something.
    To @SeanBeans original question; I tried hang gliding once. It was fun and I didn't lose much blood on landing... Been interested in human powered flight for years. Paul McCready's work and the Human Powered Vehicle Association: http://ihpva.org/home/ were good sources of inspiration and information.
    @GroundUp , I was a scuba diver for years; both recreational and salvage diving. But as you say, that first breath underwater is unforgettable!

Yours, Larry
    GroundUp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    I've never tried soaring -- I'd have liked to, but somehow never gotten around to it. That said, anything that flies is wonderful. But further, there are birds -- and then there are better birds. Over the 20 years I owned Birdy, N2823T, a Piper 28R-200, I spend time in the beginning getting her really trimmed and balanced. The end result was an airplane which seemed to respond effortlessly to my thought, not strength. Not quite as good as a Spitfire (which I've also flown) but... I didn't have to work at it. Pure joy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    3 of us built a Rogallo wing hang glider when I was a youngster. Three tubes of aircraft aluminum, some cables and a sail sewn by a friend that worked at a sail loft. A swing seat hung below. It took us a while to get airborne, the hills we had were not steep enough as they matched the glide angle. Once we found a cliff to jump off, away we went. We even figured a way to haul it up the hills with two dirt bikes.

I have flown a few times in, or on, Siggys two person powered para sail. Nothing like a birds eye view.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SeanBeans
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited May 2022
    Turbulence on commercial flights makes me sweaty nervous. Why would I fly in anything smaller.

If I did go up in Ziggy's powered para sail thingy, I'd be staring at that non-American made bolt the whole time, waiting for it to shear off.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588

@mattmia2

looks like the Wright brothers

In 1949?

I don't think so Tim.

:D
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SeanBeans
    Cool! Wasn't expecting so much activity on This post. 

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Flying home from the office — by wingsuit

For Cengiz Kocak, soaring through the sky at top speeds is just another commute from office. His office sits at a height of 1,200 meters.

https://p.dw.com/p/4BOlx
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesJUGHNE
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    SeanBeans said:

Was wondering if there are any fellow Wallie's that have taken up Paragliding or Hangliding as a hobby? Would love to link up if there happens to be more than one of us!

Heard a song called "steam powered aero plane" and it make me think of Dan Holohan and everyone here at HeatingHelp!

Cheers!

Could not help it. When I read this post, this is all I could think of

@DanHolohan @Erin Holohan Haskell. i see a new book cover here!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Larry WeingartenPC7060SeanBeans
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
     :D 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    @EdTheHeaterMan, this one made me spit out my coffee. Thanks for the laughs!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    EdTheHeaterMan