Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old style fin radiator needs help!

Options
Hi, my house has the old style fin radiator. Can anyone help me to identify what it is called? The valve underneath is has water leaking. I am trying to find a replacement part. I managed to find one good one with the cap on it. But I need to have the exact information in order to find the part online?

After long googling on google, it looks like Legend Valve 110-217. But my concern is can the male part connect to the fin radiator leg? How can I tell the the correct size I need that allows me to connect the radiator leg to the male circulator valve?

Thank you all for your help!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    The bottom end that attaches to the pipe coming up through the floor is a 1/2" sweat (soldered)
    connection.

If you find a new valve with a sweat connection you can solder it on the bottom. If you get a threaded valve then you use a 1/2" copper x male sweat adapter on the bottom.

As far as the top connection goes you take that union between the valve and the spud apart by unscrewing it.

Problem is when you replace the valve your going to need to replace the spud as well because it comes matched wit it's own valve.

The way I would approach those it to sut off the water to the boiler and drain the boiler down. The take both union nuts apart and pull the convector (finned element out.

Then do your soldering and install new valve on the two pipes. Remove the old spuds frm the convectors and install the new spuds

Then set the convector back in place. Dope the unions up with "anti seize" available at an auto parts store

lavoisierEdTheHeaterMan
  • lavoisier
    lavoisier Member Posts: 2
    Options

The bottom end that attaches to the pipe coming up through the floor is a 1/2" sweat (soldered)
    connection.

If you find a new valve with a sweat connection you can solder it on the bottom. If you get a threaded valve then you use a 1/2" copper x male sweat adapter on the bottom.

As far as the top connection goes you take that union between the valve and the spud apart by unscrewing it.

Problem is when you replace the valve your going to need to replace the spud as well because it comes matched wit it's own valve.

The way I would approach those it to sut off the water to the boiler and drain the boiler down. The take both union nuts apart and pull the convector (finned element out.

Then do your soldering and install new valve on the two pipes. Remove the old spuds frm the convectors and install the new spuds

Then set the convector back in place. Dope the unions up with "anti seize" available at an auto parts store

Thank you for the advice!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited May 2022
    Options
    you will need a spud tool to remove the spud from the convector. Those spuds can be difficult to remove. 
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,662
    Options
    How well do inside pipe wrenches/nipple wrenches work on those once the lugs break off?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    If the lugs break off another option is to remove and replace the 3/4 X 1/2 bushings with the broken spuds inside.

In any case be sure to use a bigger back up wrench than the turning one.