Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Inspection Camera

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I have a job coming up that requires an inspection camera for the better part of a week. The job won't afford to have a crew with cam all week. I can rent a Ridgid setup (cost to purchase ~$10k) for about $1k a week. Or... I could purchase something like this. https://www.wohlerusa.com/shop/products/inspection-systems/inspection-cameras/vis-250-inspection-camera.html

Does anyone have experience with this product or other suggestions? The project will be inspecting 2"-4" pipes, mostly waste vents with a few waste and storm drains. The 512 Hz locate feature will be necessary, and the distance on the recording would be helpful.

As long as the product is capable of doing the job, I figure it would be easy to store and I could get most of my money back on resale if it does not prove to be helpful down the road.

TIA,
Carl
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein
poetadams

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    I duct taped a harbor freight security camera to a sewer rod when i needed to look at my own sewer but that isn't locatable.
    ZmanreggiSolid_Fuel_ManAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 856
    Options
    @Zman I am admittedly not into the plumbing side at all. That being said, I have/had a problem with my own sanitary sewer at my house. Long story short, my original 1950's 4" cast iron drain line is compromised where it attached under the street to the city's main. I've rented and borrowed a few drain cameras in the past six months and offer a little information. I'm guessing other "real plumbers" can offer much more information.

The first camera was rented from Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/General-Wire-Spring-Drain-Camera-CGPF-ECAM-ACE/309392482 The camera did the job, but it was less than perfectly clear. However, this camera did come with a mark out tool that confirmed where my issue is (out in the street).

The second camera was an older Ridgid unit like this that a friend brought over. No locater, but he camera/screen was a little better than the one I rented. I believe it was an older SeaSnake CS10. This camera screen was very dark and difficult to see details.

The third camera was what the town just purchased. I believe it was the latest and greatest Ridgid model/ They ran the machine and showed me the screen along the way. It showed much more detail than both machines. The city employees claimed it was a $10,000 machine. It too had a locator tool. I suspect this is what your going to rent? In my opinion for $1000 per week, I think it would be the way to go. Especially if you do not plan on purchasing a machine.
    Zman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    I think a lot has to do with the operator also. Take a class or watch the manufacturer online videos
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream