Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One pipe thermostatic valve

franeli
franeli Member Posts: 9
Should you short cycle a powerflame boiler to allow the condensate to return back to the boiler when your using a one pipe thermostatic radiator valve?  Or can you leave the boiler working off the thermostat?
how can you test the vacuum breaker?

thanks

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    the boiler needs to cycle, a trv can only keep a radiator from heating at the beginning of a cycle on 1 pipe steam. it keeps the air from venting. it cannot stop a radiator from heating once it ha started. It sits between the vent and the radiator.

If you have the thermostat set right and well located and the system basically balanced you should be able to get it to cycle on the thermostat enough to use TRVs.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Matt, once started to heat and room temp rises, if vent closed it would prevent the rad from heating fully across?
  • mattmia2
    JUGHNE said:

Matt, once started to heat and room temp rises, if vent closed it would prevent the rad from heating fully across?

I suppose if it is heating some and closes it can reduce the output, but once the air has vented out of the radiator it is going to heat fully until the boiler turns off and cools enough to stop steaming.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    @mattmia2 's got the thermostatic VENT right up there -- but I'm a little concerned that you mention a thermostatic VALVE, which is very different beast and should never be used on a one pipe system
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2

@mattmia2 's got the thermostatic VENT right up there -- but I'm a little concerned that you mention a thermostatic VALVE, which is very different beast and should never be used on a one pipe system

I assumed from the mention of the vacuum breaker they knew what they were doing since some versions of vent TRVs have a vacuum breaker.

But to be clear, on 1 pipe steam the trv goes between the radiator and vent, NOT on the steam supply.
  • franeli
    Yes this trv is hooked up on the air vent of the radiator with a vacuum breaker and thermostatic controller.  Some people say I need to short cycle the boiler to allow the condensate to return back to the boiler.  But wouldnt the vacuum breaker allow the condensate to return while the boiler is running continuously when there is a call for heat?

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    IIUC, the boiler needs to cycle as normal.
    Without the vac bkr the condensate may not drain out when off cycle.
    Think of your finger over the end of the straw when pulled out of the glass.

I had some old TRV's without vac bkrs and later you could hear cond coming down from 2nd and 3rd floors. Sounded like a toilet flushing.
  • franeli
    That’s what I thought thanks 
    I’m having a problem with the radiators flooding., could the vacuum breaker be bad?  It’s happening to a lot of units and not on the same raiser.  But they have the boiler short cycling.  I’m thinking of putting the boiler only on the thermostat and letting it run all day first and then seeing if the condensate is running back.  What do you think?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    The boiler on a 1 pipe system if it builds pressure needs to cycle on pressure at 2 psi at the boiler (less is better) cycling makes the TRVs and vents/vacuum breakers work