Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler using both returns

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
Quick question, install a steam dunkirk boiler, tapping is 2.5 on the return, I have what you guys are calling a counter flow where the returns are off the supplies going back to the boiler if that make sense. Well the one I put on the side of the heart ford loop, the other is on the opposite side of the boiler and just easier to put a small nipple , reducing elbow to two inch then or price of pipe straight up.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,719
    I'm thinking that you must Hartford Loop both returns if you are putting separate returns on separate sides of the boiler. But that would mean that you need to have 2 equalizers and how would you design that header?

Is it really easier to do that or to just bring both returns to one side and Tee them together.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Having a bit of trouble visualising this. Properly you will have the risers from the boiler coming up to a header. Then a bit further along the header you will have the takeoffs for the steam mains -- however, many there may be. Then at the low end of the header you have the equalizer dropping to the top of the Hartford loop.

Now on those steam mains, if this is counterflow, you will have a drip on each one of them dropping to the floor, and then joining and going over to the bottom of the Hartford Loop. There will be a short length of wet return there, one from each drip.

There's no way the equalizer, piped properly, can function as a drip for either of the steam mains.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Snowmelt
    I drew a quick picture don’t give it too much thought on overal piping just the two returns on top the one on side of Hartford loop is about 5 inches lower the one on other side is just an elbow.
  • Snowmelt

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Will it work? Probably. Steam is pretty forgiving. You may have trouble with water surging in the one main without the equalizer and the Hartford Loop. Do I like it? No.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    As far as I am concerned the only one that needs a Hartford is the boiler header and returns. The drips connected to the supplies are high enough, so you won't push water up there
  • Snowmelt