Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Boiler and Summer Shutdown

Options
dss
dss Member Posts: 3
Hi All,

I got some great advice here a few months ago so I am back for a little more!

I have a Weil-McClain Boiler (Model CGM - 25A, Series: 9). This boiler is connected to some baseboards I have in my basement and first floor. I have two questions:

1. I have recently noticed it sounds like the pilot itself is louder than it used to be. I walk by the utility room and I can hear the boiler going (not firing- i.e. when the thermostat kicks it on) but just idling loudly. Kind of like when a stove burner is on when you are cooking. Maybe I hadn't noticed all winter but I never noticed it before. Is this a concern if it has in fact gotten louder? Is there a way to "turn down" the flame like a gas stove? Is there a larger issue?

2. I live in NJ and it is slowly but surely warming up. I am hoping in the very near future to not have to use the heat for a while. Should I turn this boiler off for the summer? What is the best way to do that if I should? Should the pilot stay on? Should I cut power to the boiler? If I should shut the pilot off what is the best way to do that?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a new homeowner entering my first transition from winter to spring!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Unless you think there’s a problem with the boiler, just tur your thermostat down or off and forget about it til fall.

Turning the pilot is not gonna save significant amount of fuel and that creates something that you have to deal with in the fall.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Take a look at the pilot and see if it looks large or yellow. I had an American Standard Boiler in my first home. It was installed in the 1940's and I purchased the home in 1978. The Pilot vwas extra large and it cost me about $8.00 per month in the summer to keep it on. In the early 1980's that was a significant savings. Here is what the pilot should look like from the Weil McLain Manual
    This photo is OK and won't cost you too much over the summer

The following pilot is too large with yellow tips larger then 1/3 of the total flame length. this indicates that there is too much gas from the pilot burner and that you might save a little by turning off the pilot burner for the summer.

It also indicates that you may need a good cleaning and or professional maintenance.

Mr.Ed

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    That last pic is a dirty pilot, not to much gas. the orifice needs to be removed from the pilot assembly or a new pilot assembly installed. flame should be coming out at roughly a 45 degree angle so it ignites the burners to the left and right. thats why the flame is basically just lifting straight up out of the pilot hood