Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opus boiler parts needed

A client property got hit by lightning and it blew up a couple of boards, including the Energy Management Control Center (EMCC) for an Opus oil boiler. The EMCC was originally made by Tekmar for this Burnham model.
We have it bypass for now and controlling the boiler by high temperature limit. Parts is not available for purchase from Tekmar or Burnham.
Do anyone out there have an old Opus that we can get this part from?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    What does that control do that is so special? IOW, I'm sure there are a few boiler controls that will do the same thing.
    steve
    mattmia2
  • BritoPlumbing
    BritoPlumbing Member Posts: 8
    It is my understanding that it allows the boiler to work as energy efficient as possible. It looks at the water temperature, outdoor reset and call for heat, so it modulates the running of the boiler. The EMCC looks like a Tekmar 356, but it has a few changes as to where the pour come sin and how many NO contacts it has.
    Yes, there are other controls that can di it. The original designer is working on that side. But, if we can find the same part, it would be nice. Just trying.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Is that a modulating or 2 stage burner or just on/off? If it is just on/off there is only so much that control can do.
  • BritoPlumbing
    BritoPlumbing Member Posts: 8
    I think it “modulates” by setting a lower high limit based on outdoor conditions and your desire target temperature for boiler water, which will shut the burner while letting the boiler circulator keep running so as to extract all the heat from the massive boiler. The EMCC is programmable like a Tekmar 356.
    The original designer is working on a work around.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    If it is just changing the swt and the burner is a conventional 1 stage burner there are outdoor rest controls that will do that. Presumably they would have to have a rather high lower limit to prevent condensing in the boiler.