Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing Rectorseal gas guard caps

Options
I found a unit yesterday that has Rectorseal gas guard caps on it that from what I can gather, are no longer made by the company. The unit needs refrigerant so I was unable to add any because I do not have the removal key (part # 86608) I have been unable to locate the key either, and was wondering if anyone else had come these time of caps, and were they able to remove them without the key? Cutting them seems risky and time consuming. Thanks to all.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    A magnet on the top should pull in the armature & allow it to be turned. Or maybe squeeze it with vise grips?
    zepfan
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    ratio said:

A magnet on the top should pull in the armature & allow it to be turned. Or maybe squeeze it with vise grips?

Google seems to think the internal key sticks and doesn't pull in even with the tool much of the time. Looks like you can cut a slot in the outer shell and either remove it or glue it to the inner shell.

So these only have an o ring seal, not a proper flare seal? Probably these are where the refrigerant escaped.
    zepfan
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks for the response to this. I ended up cutting the tips off with a Dremel tool and metal blade. Once the tips were off that fuses the inner part where it wont spin. It ended up not being that bad. Thanks again
    mattmia2