Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Counterflow

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
On my last post I want to thank everyone for clueing me in. Is this a counterflow or drip. So the header is in back and risers are in upper right. If you follow the insulation it tees back down to a return. There’s only two returns on this system which is fine. But shouldn’t the returns
Be separated and under the waterline .?
When I look for the main bleeders. ( they are in the drop ceiling) I going to suggest to replace with two or three. Also want to install a water meter on the job.
Any other tips ? Looks like a straight forward job .

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Still trying to really figure out the piping... but, if this is one pipe steam (I think you said), then you really don't have returns. Rather, technically, they are extensions of the steam mains (there are no traps or anything between them and the "real" mains) and, as a result, they do need to drop below the water line before they join together.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    @Jamie Hall, or anyone, if,
    (and yes, it is 1 pipe rads)
    and with no other returns, must be a true counterflow system,

if these are counterflow drips, coming off the 2 mains connected to the header in that dark corner,
    and not true extensions that you mention, and if good main venting is in place at the ends of the counterflow mains, then does that higher drip connection really matter ?

and that all said, I can agree that no harm occurs if the waterline high drip connection is repiped to the floor, and wet return pipe.

known to beat dead horses
  • Snowmelt
    edited April 2022
    Thanks Neil and Jamie, I’m going to have to replace the mains if I can find them and most likely replace the ends at the rads ………….. wish me luck guys I’m going there Monday to take old boiler apart …….
    Now the question is should I try to pipe this up with a minimum of two risers and also going to try a drop header ……
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    The vents still go on the mains, beyond (in the direction of steam flow) the last radiator takeoff. But, if that is out in the wilderness somewhere, and the mains wander back to somewhere more accessible... that works, too.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Snowmelt
    Thanks Jamie , I will post picks if I get the chance