Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

False water line equalizer

Options
mstrbill
mstrbill Member Posts: 37
I am planning to build a false water line near the end of a short branch main which feeds possibly 2 Rads then drips to the too high up horizontal return from the other long main feedind the rest of the rads in home . Question is can i pull the equalizer off of that short main which is 8 foot from the boiler and then build the false water line nearby to put the horizontal line under water.?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,354
    Options
    I really need more information. First, is this a two pipe system? If so, was this at one time a wet return until the boiler water level got messed up? Or was it a dry return? If it is was a dry return, how will it be vented if it is made wet? If the other return to which you refer is too high up, is it a dry return?

Or are we looking at steam main extensions, not returns at all, on a one pipe system?

If it turns out that a false water line is needed, the equalizer needs to come off the header, or as close to it as possible, as the pressure you are trying to equalize is the boiler pressure, not whatever may be in a steam main downstream.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mstrbill
    mstrbill Member Posts: 37
    Options
    It is one pipe system , yes they are steam main extensions repiped by plumbers a foot above water line 30 feet back to the boiler room then dropped to floor near boiler . I cannot lower that long horizontal run so i thought of a water line raise within the boiler room . I should have 3 feet A dimension when done . will try and get equalizer to the boiler , just thought 6 to 8 feet away might work . Thank you .
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Without detailed pictures of what you have it's difficult to comment.
    Do you have Dan's books on steam heating? This would be a good place for you to start. Gaining an understanding of what you have may help with what you want.
    One point for Dan!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    What problem are you having that you feel the false water line will fix?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15