Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watts vs Amtrol

frankjc
frankjc Member Posts: 38
Which is a better expansion tank? My current tank is an Amtrol Extrol model 30. They seem to be more expensive than the Watts, but I don't mind spending the extra money if the product is better.
Thanks.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    There seems to be a shortage of Amtrol , I have been using what can be found ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    kcopp
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    edited March 2022
    In my opinion they are all pretty much equal these days.  Amrtol is the only brand we used for residential since I started in the 1980s.  We seem to be replacing them more often these days.  
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    About 30 bucks more for these plastic lined with a brass nipple

properly sized and installed, with good boiler water a plain steel tank should last 10, 15 maybe 20 years 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited March 2022
    I can't remember what brand it was, (but it was panted green) a manufacturers rep told me once that their tank was charged at the factory with Nitrogen. At the time I had just learned about how oxygen can migrate thru solid objects like Plastic Tubing. (The reason you need "O2 barrier" PEX on CI boiler systems). so I believed it was a worthwhile feature. I requested that brand for a while, but would take whatever brand was available.

I did replace more Amtrol tanks that any other brand in my career, but I thing that is because there were more Amtrol tanks on jobs than any other brand.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod

I can't remember what brand it was, (but it was panted green) a manufacturers rep told me once that their tank was charged at the factory with Nitrogen. At the time I had just learned about how oxygen can migrate thru solid objects like Plastic Tubing. (The reason you need "O2 barrier" PEX on CI boiler systems). so I believed it was a worthwhile feature. I requested that brand for a while, but would take whatever brand was available.

I did replace more Amtrol tanks that any other brand in my career, but I thing that is because there were more Amtrol tanks on jobs than any other brand.

I've asked a few tank manufacturers if nitrogen was ever used for pre-charging, nobody remembers that? Amtrol, possibly others use chilled or air that has gone through a refrigerated moisture remover.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    edited March 2022
    You could be thinking of Flair . I am not sure of the gas used but was amazed finding them out in the field years after they stopped manufacture them . Flair was the first diagram tank we used .... Long and thinner in shap then we use today
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    Bag type tanks last longer, cost more usually. They have better acceptance than the diaphragm tanks also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Some big buildings pressurized conventional tanks with nitrogen. At the time seemed odd. But as decades go by anything that delays rust/scale looks prudent.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    hot_rod said:

I've asked a few tank manufacturers if nitrogen was ever used for pre-charging, nobody remembers that? Amtrol, possibly others use chilled or air that has gone through a refrigerated moisture remover.

I think the rep was from BJ Terroni, who handled Taco Pumps. I also remember winning a color TV from them for being one of the 4 fastest technicians to change out a Taco 007 pump cartridge at the Service Managers Convention in Hershey PA in the 1980s. Did Taco ever sell an expansion tank. I remember the tank color Green.

I may be remembering incorrectly. But I did use my dry nitrogen bottle to recharge expansion tanks many times because of that memory. Thanks for looking into that Bob... So some people really do read my comments

Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod

hot_rod said:

I think the rep was from BJ Terroni, who handled Taco Pumps. I also remember winning a color TV from them for being one of the 4 fastest technicians to change out a Taco 007 pump cartridge at the Service Managers Convention in Hershey PA in the 1980s. Did Taco ever sell an expansion tank. I remember the tank color Green.

I may be remembering incorrectly. But I did use my dry nitrogen bottle to recharge expansion tanks many times because of that memory. Thanks for looking into that Bob... So some people really do read my comments

Mr.Ed
    YesI have seen Taco expansion tanks. I'm not sure if they manufactured them or out sourced. I believe they have a fab shop for welded steel vessels.

Amtrol is owned by Worthington now, they are about the largest tank manufacturer from freon tanks, Mapp gas, LP, to large compressor tanks, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Many commercial jobs I've put Taco tanks in. They are always a sandy red. Made in Cranniston RI I believe...

Not sure about the resi ones like Bob mentioned. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Fastduramax
    Fastduramax Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2022
    HTX is a horrid green, been buying them at Webb's for quite a few years and have yet to replace one in the field, $10 clams more than an Amtrol from Webb's....