Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No hot water in all faucets, water heater is good.

Vince1017
Vince1017 Member Posts: 7
edited February 2022 in Domestic Hot Water
Condo building. There is no hot water in one apartment (bathroom, shower, kitchen). When I turn on hot water, it runs hot for 10 seconds, then becomes slightly warm. When turn on cold water, it runs cold for 30 seconds, then becomes slightly warm. Water heater is good -  hot water comes out with no issues. Replaced shower mixing valve - no luck. Had 3 different plumbers come in - none is able to figure it out. This issue has been affecting just 1 faucet, I thought I  could deal with it later, but now all 4 are affected. Please share your thoughts 

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    You have a hot to cold cross-connect somewhere in the building. My first guess would be that someone installed a new shower head or wand that has a disconnect on the ead. They are leaving the main valve on in a mixed position and are turning it off at the head. This allows the hot and cold to mix in the main valve and will affect other units.

There are many other ways this can happen; janitor sinks with Wyes, improperly assembled sink or shower cartridges, under sink water filters, hidden mixing valves, you name it.

Start going unit by unit until you find the source.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Larry WeingartenHVACNUT
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited February 2022
    Do you have your own water heater or is a common to all units.
    If common has any other condo unit had plumbing changes done to it.

This sounds like a cross connection of hot and cold supplies somewhere in the building.

Is this a standard tank water heater or other?

Also does the toilet get some warm water to it?
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    Does the other condos that are served by this W/H function properly? I'm assuming so.

In Condos what happens inside the walls is up to the owners. Answer the previous questions raised by the previous comments especially any changes made in the plumbing anywhere in the building. When did this start?
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    We do need more information....
    Does each of the units have there own Water heater?
    If it is a shared Waterheater it could be a broken recirc pump or a broken Checkvalve on the DHW recirc line or a broke Hi/low ASV setup..
    If if is a waterheater in your unit.. as others have mentioned it could be a crossover at a fixture or a Broken DIPTUBE...