Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sanden Heat Pump

Has anyone had experience with the SANCO2 system using their heat pump, 82 gallon storage tank and a Taco X-Pump Block? I have a customer that’s interested. 
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• PJnovice
    PJnovice Member Posts: 4
    I am interested too but no experience. I did find an article on the UC Berkeley “tiny house in my backyard” THIMBY competition that had that configuration. 2016 install. I really like the SANCO2; I want to use it for domestic hot water. Many reviews say it is a good candidate for radiant hydronic heating too. I was just about to give up on the idea of radiant but this has brought me back to considering it.
  • Reading the instructions, it's limited to a heating load of 8,000 BTU's. That's a lot of money to spend for such a limited payback.

kcoppHot_water_fanH2OBandit603
  • I'm liking this product from Stiebel Eltron. They've been around for awhile. Looks perfect for small, electric jobs. Has anyone tried one?

https://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/products/heating/hydroshark-modular-panel-system-radiant-floor-heating

• PJnovice
    Would this system work for 900 sq ft installation using ecowarm radiant board over slab? What sort of electrical consumption would their electric boiler use?
  • PJnovice
    I am in Half Moon Bay. Wrapping up design of a new house.
  • PJnovice
    And how much would such a system cost to install — the entire project - ballpark?
  • Send me a private message. Half Moon Bay is too far for me, but maybe I can refer someone. 

• QuitCarbon
    QuitCarbon Member Posts: 3
    Hi @PJnovice - we recently facilitated the installation of a Sanden system in San Francisco, for domestic hot water (today) and home heating (in the future).

We are working with another client who is considering a Sanden for domestic hot water and radiant floor heating.

Did you find a good contractor to work with?
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, Balance Point Home Performance, in Northern California might be a good resource. They have worked a lot with Sanden, and might know others outside of their service area also.

Yours, Larry
  • H2OBandit603
    H2OBandit603 Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2023
    My father and I installed a Sanden/Sanco2 heat pump and 119 gallon tank ourselves over two weekends.  We install submersible pumps for a living and are both mechanical so it was right up our alley for a DIY as there’s no refrigerant hookups.  He’s extremely happy with it so far but wants to see it run this winter.

when the incoming air temp is >65 the output is 150 F and when the air temp is <65 the output is 145 F.  Works from -26 F to 104 F.

This is a serious set up, no electrical backup.  Makes a traditional heat pump water heater look bad in my opinion.

distributor was FW Webb
    NH well driller and pump installer, 3rd generation
    What one man can do, another can do.
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 483
    edited October 2023
    Make sure you descale. I've done a few X blocks and one fan coil set up. Sensor spoofing is a game changer. How it's done? Well... that's guild secrets. ;)