Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam valve leaking

Options
I finally got the big leak under control. We forgot that we had another radiator on the 3rd floor and that had a pretty steady leak from the vent, so i replaced the vent on that radiator and the water hasn't moved anymore so that solves that. I did see a very small steam leak by the radiator valve opposite the vent. What size packing should i use for this. i was thinking the 3/32-inch x 24 but this seems a little large to fit on the valve them and then be tightened down but the nut. 

big thanks to everyone who helped out with all my other posts, im happy the water level has stayed level for a solid week. 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,350
    Options
    Got to admit I've never really thought about the size of the packing... I just sort of grab what's on the shelf in my shop and put it in...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • wmgeorge
    wmgeorge Member Posts: 222
    Options
    Same as Jamie, I carried a roll of Teflon packing in my truck, just wrapped as needed but you need to clean up that nasty stem with some fine sandpaper first.
    Old retired Commercial HVAC/R guy in Iowa. Master electrician.