Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant heat issues

crs
crs Member Posts: 5
I have a Weil McClain Ultra 155 boiler with radiant heat with four zones. Seems like I have a couple of issues. One is the boiler is over heating, shutting down, then restarting (short cycling). We've purged the system many times. Put a new expansion tank on, new spirovent, new reducing valve.
My second problem is that not all zones are heating at the same time. When zone one calls for heat it works fine, but if zone two calls for heat while zone one is on, there is no heat on zone two. If zone three calls for heat while one and two are on, then zone one and two heat up, but zone three does not heat.
ScottSecor

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    and how are the zones controlled?
    valves or circulators?
    post a distant shot showing your boiler, the pipes around it, and the valving or circulators,
    and of any zone control panels,

is this a new issue?
    known to beat dead horses
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    This sounds like a piping issue. Can you post pictures?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    How old is the boiler, did it ever work properly. Those aluminum block boilers need a flushing occasionally, also a good cleaning on the fire side. Does it have glycol by chance
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • visfarmdeere
    visfarmdeere Member Posts: 1
    What temperature should a Munchkin home boiler be running at?
  • skiereric
    skiereric Member Posts: 66
    Re: your first problem. What error message is the unit displaying. Is it "Supply greater than return by 58 °F"
  • crs
    Thanks for all the responses! Zones are controlled by Taco circulator pumps. This a relatively new issue on 15 year boiler. Heat exchanger was replaced 5 years ago. No glycol. Not getting any error messages any longer (I'll post error message from about 3 months ago later along with pictures).
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561

What temperature should a Munchkin home boiler be running at?

Please start a separate thread, this post has nothing to do with the OP
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Rich_49
  • crs
    edited February 2022
  • crs
    @skiereric Several months ago I had an error code "9 114 b25" but haven't seen any recent error codes
  • neilc
    I was going to suspect your primary circ not working, and still might, but,
    but next I notice the motor orientation on the secondary radiant circs,
    they should be horizontal, like your primary,
    the way they're vertical they could be getting airbound at the upper bearing,
    and those bearings could get very unhappy about that,
    crs
  • crs
    @neilc Would it make any difference if I rotated the secondary circulators 180 degrees so the cartridge is on the bottom (assuming I have the space on the back side)?
    Is it possible for the primary circulator to be working but not at full capacity or intermittently?
  • neilc
    nope,
    180 doesn't do it, now all the crap in your system drops down to those same, unhappy, bearings,
    google taco 007 manual,
    it says, motors horizontal,
    you've got some sweating to do,
    crs
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Those pumps are not installed correctly, but more than likely not causing your issue. You are either dealing with a bad supply or return sensor if that code persists, or the bigger green pump on the upper left is not doing its job. If the boiler is coming on, staying on, and not error'ing out, I would suggest testing the upper left pump, if its not spinning enough water to keep up with demand for the zones that would cause your issues, but typically that comes with that error you had earlier and lots of them.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    crs