Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New basement radiator?

Options
My wife and i just bought a home and we are getting settled in and it has boiler heat. I think it is hot water but not 100% sure it isnt steam . The basement is on the cool side but it is needed as part of our living space . Im wondering if it would even be feasible to add an additional radiator to the system .

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,434
    Options
    That is a hot water system.
    That boiler has to be from the 60's.
    Judging from the pix it looks to be a gravity system.
    Adding a radiator to that system would be difficult at best. Messing with how the water flows can lead to issues. They are pretty finicky.
  • Shagy2303
    Shagy2303 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    thank you.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    Options
    But if/when you replace that boiler (presumably with the addition of a circulator), it would be easy to add a radiator in the basement.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    kcopp
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 918
    Options
    Another option would be to convert the existing system to forced circulation by adding a circulator, as has been done with most older gravity systems; then pipe in the basement radiator(s). 

Bburd
    mattmia2kcopp
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    Why's there a bucket under the relief valve?
  • Shagy2303
    Shagy2303 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    It was leaking the day before because the expansion tank was full I had someone come and dhow me how to drain that and what to keep an eye on . I just hadn't moved the bucket because I forgot about it
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,680
    Options
    I would not use those space heaters like that unless you know those receptacles are on different and mostly unused circuits and you have checked that every connection back to the panel board is correctly made and tight