Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dremel grinding disc lost in bolier

Options
Using a Dremel to resurface the flange on a Peerless JOT steam boiler, the disc went flying off and is now lost in the bottom of the boiler.
Never had this happen before, so it didn’t seem necessary to make a cover for the open hole. D’oh!
The disc is a 1.5” aluminum oxide Dremel # EZ541GR.
How bad is this?
I have made some effort to retrieve it, but no joy. Colder weather is coming, and I’d like to button it up.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Considering it's a JOT, have you considered just replacing the boiler? 
    JUGHNE
  • Zolof808
    Zolof808 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, that’s the plan for the future, but trying to get a bit more life from this one.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    That sanding disk won't cause you any trouble. Leave it be and button up and get on with it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Zolof808Hap_Hazzard
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Options
    Chemically, it probably is no big issue. If the disc moves around and any pipe connections are large enough, like a drain, over time as the disc disintegrates, it might get lodged in one of the lines. Hopefully, it wouldn't get stuck inside the drain valve and keep it from shutting all the way.

Its hard to tell, other than wild speculation how likely that possibility would be.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
    Zolof808
  • Zolof808
    Zolof808 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks, Jamie Hall. I appreciate the confirmation.
    Thanks SteamingatMohawk, I was concerned about what it would do as it breaks down - both chemically and from a ph perspective. As for possible clogging of the drain, it has been upgraded with a 3/4” Apollo ball valve. Hopefully it won’t clog easily and will allow the scraps of the wheel out in future.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,005
    Options
    If you do take water out and are concerned, use something to strain the water as it comes out so you can see if any pieces got expelled.
    Zolof808