Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Programable Thermostat for mini split?

Options
Our mini-split installation was completed today (the condenser was delayed a few weeks). It's a Lennox system, one MWMA012S4-3P and two MWMA009S4-3P. The remotes are quite disappointing. Is there a programable option (ideally an app) that works with Lennox? A bunch of Google searches turned up nothing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Almost all mini splits are are modulating units. Using setback programing is counter productive to the logic of the system and will actually result in more energy being used while having lees comfort. This is why most manufacturers don't recommend or offer it.

The controls and operating system are proprietary for each brand, so its doubtful that you'll find any aftermarket device.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPAjosh28Tinman
  • veteransteamhvac
    veteransteamhvac Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Back at the 2019 AHRE show I stumbled upon the booth for Cielo Home. They make what is basically a remote repeater that you place in front of the head unit which communicates with it like it was the remote then hooks into your wifi and communicates with their app. It gives you app level controlability including scheduling, temp changes, etc. It's an inexpensive option for all of these remotes floating around.

I understand the setback issue with minisplit and only offer this in conditioned spaces such as garages and 3 season rooms where the occupancy is sporadic. Though nowadays we have customers who have control issues and insist on this even for interior installs.

Website is cielowigle.com (I'm just a customer not associated)
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    IMO, every MiniSplit remote stat has too many options already.

I have many of them installed and for some older people I have to stop every season and change from heating to cooling.

Too many choices. Most people want something simple...heat...cool....on..off.