Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nest thermostat

Options
Can a Nest E thermostat work on an Arm 3P control with priority...I know it says will not work with a high volt furnace. the control panel says 120 VAC. with no wire attached to the Common wire nor 24 V screws. I called the heating company that supplies the oil. They said it can be doen, but I need a 24 Volt transformer? I purchased a Nest C-wire adapter. When I tried installing the Thermostat, the furnace has a clicking sound within minutes of installation. The C-wire adapter looks complicated for me to attach. Please, any suggestions or help?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Read the recent dozens of posts on this site about what works and what doesn’t, in the real world, about Nest.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    As a cirect answer, a Nest -- and indeed many thermostats -- is not meant for 120 volt AC operation. It can, however, be used to control a relay which, in turn, can control a 120 volt circuit. So yes, you need a 24 VA transformer, and a relay to control the furnace.

I hope you did not try to connect the Nest to 120 volts... if you did, it's gone.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Check the transformer in the Argo relay. Depending on the current load, you might be able to connect there. I wouldn't do more than one.
    A separate transformer and isolation relay would be preferred. 
    I have no idea what a Nest C wire adapter is and I don't wanna know. Because there's a better way. 

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    I hope you did not try to connect the Nest to 120 volts... if you did, it's gone.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    EdTheHeaterManJUGHNE
  • jcaction
    jcaction Member Posts: 2
    Options
    i did try it....and i took it out....still works. Should I still call a Nest pro professional to look at it?