Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pretty sure I need to replace the heat exchanger in my LAARS Endurance EBP 110 [pics]

DanInCambridge
DanInCambridge Member Posts: 1
edited March 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a gas Laars Endurance EBP 110 that provides DHW and forced based board heat for a 1600 sqft townhouse. Unsure of how old but a plumber recently told me it's about 14 years old. The pictures make a long story short (intermittent DHW, ok pressure), if you'd like the long story let me know.

Laars tech said I probably also need to replace the anti-condensing valve as that is probably what is causing the scaling.
(that and hard water)

I can buy a new heat exchanger for ~$.

My question is, are there any tricks to getting the old one out and the new one in? I haven't tried it yet but it looks VERY tight, especially the nuts in the back. Special tools that make it easier?
Do I need to completely turn off the boiler? ie gas, electric and water supply? Or is it enough to just turn off the water supply, drain the system and turn off the heat so the unit cools down enough to work on?

Or should I just be thinking about replacing it. I got one quote for $ and another about $, not including rebates. Both quotes seem crazy high though I am in the north east and really enjoy hot showers...

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    We don't discuss pricing on this site.
    14 years is pretty good for an endurance. There is lots of other stuff that goes bad at that age.I would not put a dime into it and replace the whole show.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    SuperTechkcoppJohnNY
  • HydroNiCK
    HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
    Get a new one. I don't like that boiler....dumb design.
    SuperTechkcopp
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I don't understand why you had to ask about shutting off the water and electric while working on it.

The plate heat exchanger isn't inexpensive, you have to consider the fact that the rest of the boiler has just as much wear and tear on it and at this point you have to consider that you are going to have further problems if you choose to repair it now. A new boiler will provide you with more efficient operation and a warranty.

If you want to repair it no special tools are needed beyond the obvious ones. Shut off water and power, no need to turn the gas off. You may have to remove other components to get to it.
  • i have 1 men he maintenance with building 35 apt all bojler Endurance, he always have problem with 2 of those , 1 boiler he already change 8 ignator for 2 week!!!!!! today i work with the same boiler on 1 family home , complete trush, i spend for parts already $377 inter pump, mixing valve 110$,new exp,tank ,65$ new AIR scooper, new exter,pump 110$.... still no working properly. work few hours then stop....
    Going to change water feeder. ,maybe put extra pump and separate zone with switching rely.
    KEEP in mind is just ONE FAMILY house!!!! When i compare to Navien this is complete Trush....regular Navien i heat up 15 zone with 3 pump and balancing manifold....2 day install from scratch.
    THIS old boiler already cost me 3 day work!!!!! and still doesn't work properly.
    I wonder different opinion about this bojle if somebody have.
    MY VERDICT : This boiler not functional.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    @davidplumberqueens
    Please do not post pricing, it is against the site rules.
    Yes, as this thread concludes, older Endurance boilers are not worth spending much time or effort repairing.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    JMHO but I don't think much of Larrs or Navien
    Zman
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    These things were hugely popular in New York City at one time. I earned a reputation in Brooklyn's Gowanus-South Slope area about 20 years ago as the guy to call when they broke down. Not because I had any special abilities or knowledge about them. It was just because I was one of the few people who were willing to put my hands on them. That anti-condensing valve was the problem with about 70% of the units I was called to repair. I hated Endurance boilers until Noel Murdough walked me through them. They're not so bad. They're just different.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes