Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Energy savings due to clogged air-vents on 1-pipe steam system

Options
I recently recommended replacing all main loop vents because they were clogged and non-functional. Could anyone tell me, how much (%) energy savings building should expect? Thanks in advance, Kapil

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi @Kapil779 and welcome, This is a very slippery slope! I think the only realistic way to get close to that number would be to monitor energy usage before and after. But even then, things will be different as interior temps will be different. I think I'd focus on occupant comfort... Now let's see what the actual experts have to say! :p

Yours, Larry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Bluntly, very little -- assuming the rest of the system was working well. If this is a one pipe system and the other vents aren't working either, you might save some. If this was two pipe and the old ones really weren't working, you might save some. How much? Impossible to figure.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Can't put a # on the savings but there will be some.

If only the radiator vents were venting the system will heat slowly and may build pressure burning extra fuel in the boiler to push the air out.

Things should work much better with main vents