Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hard Lockout after CAD Cell High During Run

Jecca
Jecca Member Posts: 2
I just bought my ex out of our 1903 Steam heated home last month and he moved out today. After he was done moving some stuff out of the basement and attic mid-day, my boiler stopped working. I had also received an oil delivery earlier in the morning as the tank was down to just about 1/4 yesterday. The temperature also had been higher for the hold temp over the past two weeks (64 - once briefly 68 - versus the 62 the ex kept it at). With all this in mind, I’m not saying it’s sabotage but... now I have a hard lockout on the Honeywell r7284. I ran a reset and the flame was detected but still shut off. Error 1 and 2 was Exceeded Max Recycles (during the reset and 2 cycles prior. Several cycles prior, error 3 was CAD cell high during run. The boiler is a Weil-McLain. Any suggestions for videos I can watch to check what needs to be checked so me and the kids aren’t freezing on Christmas?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You’re going to need service. Nothing you can do on your own. Plus you’ll probably need parts, tools & skills you don’t have.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    edited December 2021
    DON'T DO THE FOLLOWING IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS!

POWER OFF first.
    Swing the transformer out of the way so you can get to the CAD cell. Unplug it from the holder and plug it back in a few times. Check for loose/intermittent connections, wipe it clean and try it again.
    Make sure the wires on F F (the CAD cell) on the R7284 are not loose.

I hope you have a warm and Merry Christmas.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    62? Congratulations on your return to humanity!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • STEVEusaPA
    MikeAmann said:

POWER OFF first.
    Swing the transformer out of the way so you can get to the CAD cell. Unplug it from the holder and plug it back in a few times. Check for loose/intermittent connections, wipe it clean and try it again.

Bad idea to post something like that.
    May not apply to her situation.
    May make things worse. What if she accidentally puts it in pump prime mode and pumps 3 minutes of raw oil into the chamber.
    High ohms means poor flame, which could be due to a number of factors, especially since she just received an oil delivery.
    And with the possibility of sabotage, best to have someone go over the entire burner and controls to make sure everything is right, and dial in combustion properly with instruments.
    steve
    EdTheHeaterManEBEBRATT-EdSuperTech
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    my experience is that burners are more prone to soot up just after getting a fuel delivery, especially if the tank is low on fuel. The fuel in the tank gets stirred up and lets crud get through to the burner. I never understood how it can get past so many filters, but it seems to.
    So, most likely you need a new nozzle and a cleaning. You will need a good tech to do all this.
    Rick
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    First off 62? O.O *Looks over at the t-stat reading 73*

Second get a professional in there to repair it. As much as I personally like doing things myself, this is a case where you want a pro to repair and document everything. If it is sabotage you may have legal recourse and a third party report of damage and repairs would probably go a lot further then he said she said. 
  • Jecca
    Jecca Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2021
    Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it! Especially the welcome to above freezing temperatures indoors :-) Soon, I hope! Right now it’s two rooms with a space heater in each until we’re back up and running. I am still awaiting a reply from some service folks but do plan to take a look at the CAD sensor and likely get a new one regardless as a backup even if it isn’t that. Seems like a cheap part. Boiler was serviced prior to the start of the season but perhaps the delivery pushed some debris through as some mentioned. Just not sure why it is sending high versus low if it were dirty.
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    It goes with out saying, please be careful with electric space heaters. I hate the things and generally don't allow their usage in my home. I've seen too many with melted plugs.
  • MikeAmann

MikeAmann said:

POWER OFF first.

Bad idea to post something like that.
    May not apply to her situation.
    May make things worse. What if she accidentally puts it in pump prime mode and pumps 3 minutes of raw oil into the chamber.
    High ohms means poor flame, which could be due to a number of factors, especially since she just received an oil delivery.
    And with the possibility of sabotage, best to have someone go over the entire burner and controls to make sure everything is right, and dial in combustion properly with instruments.
    I considered that. But her description of the problem shows that she has a better than average understanding. Plus it's Christmas Eve and NO HEAT! I will avoid doing this in the future.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Mike, didn't mean to offend you. I have no authority on this website, and your response is not wrong or incorrect.
    My take away is that the OP would have no ability to do what you suggested (not that it was wrong). I'm more concerned about anyone stumbling on the post and trying it. Or if they can't get the nozzle assembly out they tend to remove the screw holding the escutcheon plate affecting the z dimension. Then it can turn into a real mess, right?
    I went on a call where the customer (H/O install) took off the plate and put it back on backwards, effectively moving the nozzle assembly forward 1/2". The net result was they completely sooted up a brand new boiler running it for 20 minutes.
    I generally don't like recommending anyone do anything that affects combustion without having the ability to perform a combustion test when finished, completely from a stand point of safety.
    Yeah I know it's Christmas Eve, and no heat, but service providers in the HVAC (and especially oil) business work 24/7/365.
    My feeling was the oil delivery probably stirred up some crud that clogged or partially clogged the nozzle, maybe even the strainer and/or filter. Could be that (coincidentally) or maybe sabotage in some form, in which case running the burner at all could be dangerous.
    steve
  • MikeAmann
    No offense. You are correct that a professional should be the one to look at this. Assumptions cannot / should not be made with things such as this that can get dangerous very easily and quickly.
    STEVEusaPA
  • jimna01
    jimna01 Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2021
    I am a homeowner. I have an established relationship with my boiler maintenance company. For a small stipend per year , I get 365/24/7 response to no heat situations and 354/16/6 for non critical issues. A lot of parts and labor are no additional cost to me. It costs less than 3 months car insurance and includes the annual tune up. It is about the same as 60 day electric bill. Just a huge piece of mind. I will spend my DIY time on things I have the equipment and knowledge to complete. I leave my boiler and major constriction to my pros.
  • STEVEusaPA
    I’ll take one of those customers^^^^^^
    steve
  • MikeAmann
    I would imagine that customers like that are much easier to find than the handful of old-time service people that are still around that actually give a ____ about doing a good job.