Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Black Onix tubing by Heatway

I had 3/8" black Onix tubing by Heatway installed in my house in December of 1999 for my radiant floor heat. I just had to replace all the tubing because it was breaking down internally and causing the tubing to be plugged. My heating contractor says he has replace a number of this tubing. Do you know of any litigation or information on this faulty tubing. I saw that Heatway went bankrupt when they tried to sue Goodyear on the Entran tubing but I haven't been able to find any information the the Onix tubing. My heating contractor suggested contacting the heating company who installed the tubing and possible the attorney general. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    A controversial radiant tube, for sure
    The current version should have adequate protection. Questions around O2 ingress around the barb fittings. Run lowest possible temperature to limit potential ingress
    Hydronic treatment with O2 scavengers offers piece of mind
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    The Onix tubing probably was not breaking down.
    It may/ probably had been letting in oxygen and therefore rusting out the system components.
    I suppose that could be mistaken for the tubing falling apart.
    Did they try flushing out the system before the tubing was removed?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    kcopp said:

The Onix tubing probably was not breaking down.
    It may/ probably had been letting in oxygen and therefore rusting out the system components.
    I suppose that could be mistaken for the tubing falling apart.
    Did they try flushing out the system before the tubing was removed?

Hard to say without analyzing the fluid taken out. Some suggest the plastisizer in the tube breaks down, clay is one of the components in EPDM hose. so is the sludge ferrous breakdown sludge, or ingredients of the tube.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dpatane21
    dpatane21 Member Posts: 2
    The hvac contractor tried to flush out the lines and we even tried a larger pump but the lines were plugged. I have already replaced all the tubing with pex /alum plates. I guess my next step is to call the company that installed the tubing and let them know what happened. My neighbor has the exact same system in his house but it's 1 year newer. Also I was told I could talk to the attorney general about this.
  • robbro33
    robbro33 Member Posts: 5
    I recognize this was posted some time ago but I have radiant floors with this same tubing.  I’ve been having issues with my system making loud banging noises for some time.  Today I purged the radiant zone and it was full of sludge.  Last year it was the same. Thankfully the lines were not plugged and I purged it until it was clear.  When I powered the boiler back up the pressure increased until tripping the relief valve so I drained the boiler and it was full of sludge. I now have the zone isolated and turned off and the boiler seems to be running fine.  Was there any outcome from this thread?  I think I need to have the tubing replaced.  Thanks for any help - Troubled Homeowner
  • kcopp
    I have had some luck w/ this tubing and having it powerflushed. I have a flush cart that will run pressurized water w/ a cleaner through it to get the junk out of it. This could easily take a couple hours to do. After a good quality inhibitor should be added to the system to keep the oxygen from attacking the ferrous (iron/ steel) parts in the system. If at all possible as many of the ferrous should be removed.
    What type of boiler do you have?
    Derheatmeister
  • robbro33
    Its a Slant/Fin installed in 2016.  Radiant floor existed prior and didn’t have any issues with the old one.
  • kcopp
    Was anti freeze/ glycol added to the system when the boiler was swapped out??
  • robbro33
    No idea.  I could try reaching the plumber that did the work but I think he’s retired now.  Here’s what it looked like.
  • kcopp
    What temperatue is the system running at? Typically the higher water temp the more O2 ingress.
    Zman
  • robbro33
    Sorry for the delay - holiday break.  Generally between 140-180 degrees F.  I have seen it at high as 212 though another time at 200 so I snapped a pic of that.
  • kcopp
    Waaay too hot. Why would the boiler allow such a high temp. Is there a mix valve on that set up to the radiant?

• robbro33
    I’m not a plumber but googled mixing valve and believe there is a mixing valve in the radiant zone. Pic attached.  
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    The pump should be pumping away from the mixed port on the device. If the thermometer is on the mixed port, that's where the pump is located. Water treatment after a purge and flush is recommended.