Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it normal for the pressuretrol not to trigger?

Options
zx2slow
zx2slow Member Posts: 1
edited December 2021 in Strictly Steam
Long time lurker here, trying to sort out if my boiler is working properly. My concern is that I have been monitoring my new boiler pretty closely and it seems to only shut off when the thermostat hits the set temp, I have never noticed the pressuretrol shutting off the boiler. My setback is only around 4-6F normally, the house generally gets up to temp in about 45min. I'm in New Hampshire and the weather has been fairly mild, should I expect to see the pressuretrol cut the boiler once it gets very cold?

Some background:

I have just had a new Burnham IN6 installed to replace an older IN6 that failed after corrosion rotted a hole in the block. I replaced all the radiator vents with ventrite #1's and the mains with Gorton #2's and all appear to be venting and sealing properly. When the boiler cuts off I can hear some of the vents opening and sucking in air.

The new pressuretrol that was included with the boiler is set to the minimum of 1.5psi with a .5 psi differential along with a near useless 30psi gauge - I'm blind as to what the actual pressure is. I understand that at minimum settings these are pretty inaccurate. I plan to purchase a 3 or 5 psi guage and install it on a T off the pigtail the pressuretrol is on and eventually a vaporstat.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    If the boiler is size right you can usually operate on the thermostat and never see pressure on the gauge.

Since this is a new boiler I assume the pigtail can't be plugged (maybe a bad assumption)

Take the cover off the pressure control and trip the pressure control with a screwdriver with the burner running

And post some pictures of the boiler and the piping