Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Colonial - a Lot of Rooms - How many Zones?

Alan_Koziol
Alan_Koziol Member Posts: 10
edited October 2021 in Gas Heating
Evening Everyone,

Started putting my current residence back to 2 family. An Old Colonial, 2 Primary Floors and a lot of Rooms. (And Doors). :( Basically, both floors have all rooms connected.

Each floor is a Single Zone - FHW Baseboard heat, looped around the outside perimeter walls. (Except for the kitchen - Under-Counter kick space heater.

1st Floor - You have Kitchen, 1/2 bath (hopefully becoming a Full), Dining room, Living room & Den. There is another room, but I am considering that to be a different zone from this post.

Originally, the thermostat was situated in the Dining room (which has a South window), so I believe that was causing false readings and a cooler 1st Floor.

The Kitchen has a hallway, just under 6' from the door to the Living Room & Den. That is where I relocated the thermostat.

Considering breaking the 1st Floor zone to have the Living room & Den as its own thermostat zone. Only have to close the door between Kitchen and Living room.

The Kitchen thermostat would be responsible for the Dining room, Kitchen and 1/2 bath.

Similar approach for the upstairs zone conversion. So, I would be going from 2 to 4 zones.

Am I going in the right direction?
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Be Safe.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    How does it heat the way it is? Only you can decide. 4 zones sounds like plenty.

Thermostats in a kitchen is usually not done unless on it's own zone a cooking will through them off
  • Alan_Koziol
    Hi Ebebratt,

I agree with your statement about the thermostat and kitchen.... but here's why I went that route. My location is more central in relation to the floor layout. Even though it is in the kitchen, I work during the day. The other factor(s) were based on how my house generates false readings. The thermostat's original location was in a room that had window facing South. Thermostat could read 70F actual was closer to 66F.
  • Alan_Koziol
    Ebebratt,

Now that it's getting colder now and I'm indoors cooking more I thought about our conversation about thermostat location. I have been watching how it registers while cooking aka using the oven... The thermostat has NOT gone above its setting... I believe it's from all the avenues the air has to travel in my residence that it remains stable from circulating between the 5 rooms.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong as to why it is doing what it is OR I just lucked out.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @Alan_Koziol

The general rule is no stats in kitchens. There are other rules of thumb like no stats on an outside wall. And no return air out of a bathroom (for obvious reasons).

If it works it works
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356

@Alan_Koziol
    And no return air out of a bathroom (for obvious reasons).

LOL