Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

two radiators no heat, the rest is OK

PatB
PatB Member Posts: 40
Hello, hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.
I have problem with two radiators on 3rd floor. The steam boiler supplies heat to first and third floor apartment. The radiators were hot on the first floor except one at far end from the pipe. The technician came to correct the high pressure of the boiler. then, I asked him to check the radiator. He said there was air trapped inside, so he let the air out. Then, the radiator worked.
but the third floor which is smaller, has only three radiators. The radiator in the family room works well, get hot. The radiator in the bedroom and in the kitchen don't get hot. I replaced air vent, opened the valve. still, no avail.

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Make sure the radiators are sloped so any water can find it's way back to the boiler. Also over time the building may have settled. using a 2x4 and a block see if you can GENTLY lift the whole radiator up and put shim under the legs. Make sure you still have the correct slope when your done.

Are these radiators at the end of a main? check the main with a level to make sure it has consistent slope so water does not block the steam. Maybe a higher capacity main vent would help.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • PatB
    BobC said:

Make sure the radiators are sloped so any water can find it's way back to the boiler. Also over time the building may have settled. using a 2x4 and a block see if you can GENTLY lift the whole radiator up and put shim under the legs. Make sure you still have the correct slope when your done.

Are these radiators at the end of a main? check the main with a level to make sure it has consistent slope so water does not block the steam. Maybe a higher capacity main vent would help.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I will make sure.

The both radiators are located in the front of the house which is farther away from the boiler which is in the back of the house.

The radiator in the bedroom is connected directly through a pipe from basement to the third floor. The pipe goes through a storage room on the second floor. There was a slope issue. I hired a contractor who cut open the ceiling to correct the slope, then it worked. But, I found out it is heating up this year.
    The radiator in the kitchen, I haven't figured out how it is connected. It worked at least warmed up. Yesterday, very cold.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Where is this house located?
    morevintage
  • PatB
    pecmsg said:

Where is this house located?

Bergen, NJ