Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam boiler problem

Options
ClaudeD
ClaudeD Member Posts: 2
I am dealing with 3 low pressure weil-Mclain steam boilers connected in parrallel. Each boiler was equipped with 2 probe type low water cut offs. boilers ran out of water and 4 low water cut offs failed to isolate the boilers resulting in cracked and leaking boilers. boilers were replaced and each equipped with one float style and one probe style low water cut off. My problem is since then when boilers are operating, water disappears in one boiler shutting it down with low water cut off backing water up in next boiler over filling next boiler. then repeats this with next boiler like a yoyo. Cycle last 1 1/2 minutes alternating from boiler to boiler

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    How are the boilers piped together? The near boiler piping?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options

How are the boilers piped together? The near boiler piping?

Pictures!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Is there a feeder pump for each or all the boilers?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    Code rules state that "two steam boilers should not be connected together below the water line" If they are you need a check valve on each boiler (not the best way) or a hartford loop on each boiler.

When you have boilers connected in parallel the idle (cooler) boilers will fill with condensed steam. The boilers that are running as soon as they build steam will try to force water out through there returns into the other boilers.

To manage these water issues you need hartford loops, correct near boiler piping and and overflow (spill ) traps on each boiler.

If you are using a condensate tank to feed water to the boiler this won't work either. A boiler feed tank may be needed with either feed water valves to each boiler or a feed pump for each boiler
  • ClaudeD
    ClaudeD Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I will try the check valves on each boiler as this will be the most financial resolution. It still leaves me wandering how the system worked well for near 80 years piped exactly as it is only difference is a float style LWC.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Is this a pumped return?
    Pictures?