Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Geothermal system repair gone wrong

Options
moose4747
moose4747 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
We had one simple dripping Taco valve on our geothermal. The system ran both ac and heat without issue. We just had to catch the slow drip in a bucket. We had a certified geothermal repair team out who told us it was not to code any longer and they proposed some repiping and two new valves, one for each handler. It was installed in 2008 so it could be accurate that updates were needed. We agreed. Cost was around $$$$. First set of valves was not correct, so they came back out. Two different looking valves were fitted and we were assured they were better than what we had originally. They turned the units back on. That's where the trouble started. After doing the repair and adding two new valves, they turned the system back on but did not turn the geothermal pump back on first. It was shut off during the repair. So it ran for perhaps 24 hours with no main geothermal pump on. It was not checked obviously or they would have seen it was merely blowing room temperature air. No one ever checked the air temperature at the registers, and they didn't even go back to where the well pump was. We even reminded them the pump was off. We had them back out and now they tell us there are blown areas on both circuit boards. They site the age as the reason for this, but all was running perfectly fine before these "upgrades" and new valves. What impact does running a system without the pump have on the units? Is there a procedure for turning the geothermal well pump back on after it had been shut down? The first set of valves they put on did not work so the well pump cycled on and off constantly not keeping pressure for a few hours before we figured out something had to be wrong and called them. It's all very frustrating.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    There are safety's that protect the geo components in that situation. Were these safety's bypassed?

We had a certified geothermal repair team out who told us it was not to code any longer Cant say if I'm aware of many if any requirements to bring to current code on a repair!
    Certified geo is not the same as Qualified!

Something sounds very fishy.
    HVACNUT
  • moose4747
    Options
    If they were bypassed by the repair company, they did not tell us. The repair was supposed to include all the checks and changing of filters etc. I can say that I am shocked that they left our house without realizing the well pump wasn't on. Common sense just tells me that something they did or did not do impacted the circuits.
  • moose4747
    Options
    Not sure if it is considered bypassing, but when they came out today they put power direct to the compressor in the heat pump and got the heat to come on. But they said that was part of the test to see what was wrong.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    moose4747 said:

If they were bypassed by the repair company, they did not tell us. The repair was supposed to include all the checks and changing of filters etc. I can say that I am shocked that they left our house without realizing the well pump wasn't on. Common sense just tells me that something they did or did not do impacted the circuits.

Without the pump(s) running the Systems could not have been checked!
    moose4747HVACNUT
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @moose4747

I would call their service manager /owner (document everything first)

Make sure he understands that you had a WORKING SYSTEM until his "technicians touched it" and YOU want a 'WORKING SYSTEM" now, the only thing that was wrong was a leaking valve that needed repair/replace.

They are blowing smoke at you. They put the wrong valves in and they left the pump off. Ask him what HE is going to do about it. Keep it short and to the point put the onus on them and get off the phone tell him you will be waiting for his decision.

Now maybe you will have to pay for some repairs, maybe they give you the parts at cost and THEY eat the labor. But you should get something

What you do next (like calling a lawyer) will depend on weather they are willing to work with you. You might mention that as a last resort if he won't work with you
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Running the compressor without the well pump on will (should) cause the circuit open on high pressure. Shouldn't be a big deal. 
    The fact that they replaced the Geo valves but failed to check the flow rate after the valves were installed is ludicrous. 
    Do you know if it's an open or closed loop system? Is there a big plate heat exchanger anywhere?
    They need to do right by you. Speak to the owner, or as high up as you can get. See if they have anyone besides Laurel and Hardy to repair your systems, at the original price of replacing the valves and bringing them "up to code". Up to code, I like that one.