Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hissing steam vent when heat has been running. Is this normal?

Options
datawaym8
datawaym8 Member Posts: 33
This pipe is in the basement on the far opposite side of the boiler room. It connects to the first floor. I have been hearing a lot of hissing noises from this vent when the heat was on.

Does this mean steam is escaping?
What is the model of this vent so I can purchase a replacement.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    That's a Gorton #1. And it appears that that's a steam main drip... in which case, unless it's a very short main, you'll be happier with a #2. It may fit.

The hissing really shouldn't be happening -- it's quite possible, though, that it's that the boiler pressure is set a bit high. That will do it. It should cut out at about 1.5 to 2 psi.

And that whole steam main should be insulated.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Could be venting steam or could be venting air. Put you had up their (carefully) while it's venting if it's steam you will know
  • datawaym8
    datawaym8 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    That's a Gorton #1. And it appears that that's a steam main drip... in which case, unless it's a very short main, you'll be happier with a #2. It may fit. The hissing really shouldn't be happening -- it's quite possible, though, that it's that the boiler pressure is set a bit high. That will do it. It should cut out at about 1.5 to 2 psi. And that whole steam main should be insulated.

Is this the one? Looks a bit skinnier than the one I have. Not sure if it will fit.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Gorton-G2-Gorton-No-2-Straight-Air-Eliminator-3524000-p
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    That's the puppy. It's bigger in diameter. You may have to use a bushing or reducer for it -- it has a half inch thread.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England