Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

must haves (& really wants) for oil service

ratio
ratio Member Posts: 3,617
All right. Since the company insists on sending me out to fiddle with these waste oil burners we sold (against my recommendations, I might add), what tools do I need to do it right? I've got an analyzer that covers oil, a smoke pump, & several flavors of manometers. What else do I need? A soot vac, pressure gauge, vacuum gauge (a manifold with both?), nozzle kit, ???

Are there any items that are not really necessary but will make it a lot easier/faster/funer? I'm mainly concerned with these waste burners ATM, but I'm afraid my future will hold more, different, burners.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    A welder and a push/pull pump.
    steve
    ratio
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    You need an analyzer but use O2 not CO2, it won't be accurate for waste oil.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    ratio
  • 426hemi
    426hemi Member Posts: 79
    Never used any special tools on them. I’m probably going to get some real nasty replies for saying this but I never used a combustion analyzer on one! Never wanted to foul up mine on something that burns ****! These things aren’t going to be perfect you could set one up perfectly and then the fuel changes! Always ran them way lean for reliability one load of gear oil of something nasty and that thing will soot up like you’ve never seen. Fuel efficiency is not what you want on a waste oil burner! The more oil the thing burns the less they have to pay to get rid of! Only ones that were reliable were at transmission shops. They run great on ATF. The dirtier and more viscous the oil the more unreliable they are! A local truck/bus repair shop had one that wouldn’t run overnight without screwing up. No matter what additional filters/centrifuge, and separation tanks I tried it never fully fixed the problem. Got it to run for a week at best. The nozzles and filters were constantly needing replacement due to the horrible quality of the oil. The centrifuge made a huge difference but it needed constant maintenance. As the mechanics weren’t paid hourly (they were paid by the job) they wouldn’t clean the thing till it screwed up and then it had taken out all the filters and nozzle.