Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

.3 gpm on hydronic heating -- help

Options
2»

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    Panel rads are a good supplemental source of radiation. They will operate well at same temps that your very thick wood floors will require. You can put non-electric temperature regulating valves on each one to help fine tune your zone. Look at QHT Ecostyle panel rads. They have good BTU ratings.
  • josephny
    josephny Member Posts: 270
    Options

Just spent the morning at the site and guess what?

You were all correct!

First I bled the system (this time correctly -- or at least, more correctly). Shut in/out valves to manifol, connected garden hose and one by one purged the circuits with the little bleeder tube. Lots and lots and lots of air came out. Fired it back up and got 1gpm through each circuit. I thought: "I'm done. Those guys really know what their stuff"

Waited 10 minutes and the flow dropped back down, to .8, then .6, then back to .4.

Bled it again thinking I must not have gotten all the air out.

Same thing: Good, then bad again.

Put an amprobe on the circulator and it's drawing just under half an amp. I don't know what it's supposed to draw, but I figured .5 amps can't be too far off.

Put a pressure gauge on the secondary piping and raised it to 20psi. I should have done this before doing anything, because I'm sure my steps up to this point messed with the pressure a lot.

Same low flow.

I removed the Y strainer's strainer and sure enough, the thing was full of rust colored stuff and filled the metal mesh. Removed the strainer and the flow is great. I can get 1gpm through each of the 4 circuits, but I lowered it to .8 for now.

Watched it for a few and it seems fine.

But I wonder where all the rust came from? I am using a well, but I've got a 50 micron filter between the boiler's water feed and the well.

So now I have the system running without the Y strainer's strainer. Should I be worried? Should I replace the strainer?

Thank you all very much!
    Zman
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Thanks for the follow-up. It's always to hear that the math works. :)
    Replacing the strainer with a good dirt/mag separator would be a good plan. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi-546328A-1-Sweat-5463-Series-DIRTMAG-Dirt-Separator-with-Magnet?gclid=Cj0KCQiAys2MBhDOARIsAFf1D1f8kXiylrMf-qH21YDZaDYfNTGNyFu_urgNlFuXOwMJMaXVlMZexBIaAhmBEALw_wcB
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein