Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HElP DIY

hawk4x4wv
hawk4x4wv Member Posts: 1
I need some answers. I want to convert my baseboard heat to radiant on my ground floor with a crawl space almost tall enough to stand in. I have a boiler that supplies two zones to this floor right now. I will need approximately 900 ft of pex to do this. I know that it has to be in 300 ft or less loops. My question is about how to hook it up to my current zones. What do I need to do to use the current zones if able or what do I need to do in general. I can handle any task but just not a boiler guy. I am up for the task. Thanks, Scott

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I sure your going to have supply and return manifolds to tie the pex into. The supply and return from your old zone can be used to feed the manifolds if sized properly.

Depends on what kind of boiler you have I am assuming cast iron, You need a good air separator and a dirt/magnetic separator would be good

The boiler water needs to be a maximum of 120 degrees usually so you will need a mixing valve to maintain your 120 deg boiler water as the boiler will supply your old zone at 180 if needed. + some controls and control wiring
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Have you done a scientific (Manual J or similar) heat loss calc to determine how much heat is needed or if the floor can supply enough?

Proper design is the key to getting a radiant floor that performs right. The heat loss calc is the foundation of that.

There's a lot more to it than just installing tubing.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.