Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is pipe thread compound TFE paste that contains Teflon safe to use on a oil tank heater?

kima200
kima200 Member Posts: 1
Hi there, I have an order oil heater tank in my basement. my oil company just recently overfilled my tank and now there is a small persistent leak at the bottom of the tank. The guy at my local hardware store told me that Pipe thread compound TFE paste (which contains Teflon) is safe to use on it. Just wanted to run it by some of you to make sure I’m not damaging anything by using this for a temporary fix. 

Thanks!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If the oil company over filled your tank and you have a leak from over pressurization they oughtto make it right.

Teflon dope is ok to use on oil just not teflon tape
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    I know the pump company complains about the use of teflon tape and pieces of tape fouling up the pump gears . I would use something else to play it safe even though it is not tape..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Um... a small persistent leak at the bottom of the tank? This is not good. Pipe dopes and tapes and the like are great for sealing threads, but they aren't for sealing leaks in the bottoms of tanks, however small.

You may have a much more serious problem than a bit of a drip. How old is this tank? Has it been checked for wall thickness?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jamie Hall
    See my reply to your duplicate thread. As I said there, a "small persistent leak" in the bottom of the tank can't be sealed by dope or tape, and indicates the possibility of a far more serious problem which needs to be checked immediately.

And is likely, if it is corrosion, to possibly have been triggered by overfilling, but is an ongoing problem. You can try going after the oil company, but you'll have a fight on your hands.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    I've merged the two discussions into one here. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Teflon has no issues with diesel fuel.

If you look at this chart you'll find it's one of the most, if not the most compatible things known with almost everything.

https://www.calpaclab.com/teflon-ptfe-compatibility/
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    ChrisJ said:

If you look at this chart you'll find it's one of the most, if not the most compatible things known with almost everything.

That chart isn't going to help you with a warranty claim or in court if the manufacturer states 'no teflon tape' and you have a failed component and/or a leak.
    steve
  • ChrisJ

ChrisJ said:

That chart isn't going to help you with a warranty claim or in court if the manufacturer states 'no teflon tape' and you have a failed component and/or a leak.
    The OP asked about pipe dope containing Teflon.
    There's been no mention of tape my friend.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    ChrisJ said:

ChrisJ said:

The OP asked about pipe dope containing Teflon.
    There's been no mention of tape my friend.

Worse. He asked about a small leak in the tank... not in a fitting. If it really is in the tank shell, it doesn't matter if it's teflon tape, teflon pipe dope, or duct tape. He's got a problem.

Br. Jamie, osb
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2021
    The OP asked about pipe dope containing Teflon. There's been no mention of tape my friend.
    Worse. He asked about a small leak in the tank... not in a fitting. If it really is in the tank shell, it doesn't matter if it's teflon tape, teflon pipe dope, or duct tape. He's got a problem.

I just commented that the stuff is safe to use.

I assumed (I know I know) that they're using it on an npt connection at the bottom.

There's no pictures, so they could be talking about a hole in the tank but even then the pipe dope is still safe, it just won't work. 
  • 426hemi
    426hemi Member Posts: 79
    Either tape or dope or both is safe to use. Just use it properly! Put it on the threads not inside the fitting! If you get it into the system you did something seriously wrong. If it somehow gets into the system the filter, pump screen, and nozzle will catch it so it’s not going to destroy anything.