Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin T80M e13 & F13 error codes

lukenurn
lukenurn Member Posts: 34
Hi,

I was just getting an e13 code followed by an F13 on my boiler. After trying a few different things, I got it working again but want to address the root issue. I understand this is a fan speed error. Please assist. Details/behavior below...

-2004 munchkin t80m boiler
-from Wisconsin, so it runs 6/7 months of the year
-I've occasionally received an f13 error code over the past few years. Maybe 2-4 times each season. I just reset it and has always started back up smoothly

-THIS TIME, a cold house led me to discover the f13 error. I hit reset per usual and instead of starting up with it's initial loud fan blow out then firing up, it was quiet and showed solid E13, then within 30 seconds changed to flashing F13. Every reset gave identical results. I even flipped off the boiler power a few times and same issue. After reset with further investigation, I put my ear to the fan area and would hear a slight hum, a few quiet ticks, then nothing and the F13 would begin to flash.

Not sure if this is related, but the thermostats were calling for heat this whole time. I shut the power off to the boiler, called the thermostats off, left it for an hour or so, came back, returned power and reset again and it fired right up.

We're making it through the night, but I'm not betting we will make it through the winter. I'm really trying to keep this puppy going as it's super efficient, but not sure if dropping another $500 on a fan assembly is worth it in the long run.

Any troubleshooting tips are appreciated. I also appreciate that we are having a freakishly unusual week of mid-upper 50's for the next 7 days!

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You probably need a new fan.

When was the last time the boiler was serviced and cleaned as per the manufacturer’s instructions?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • lukenurn
    Ironman said:

You probably need a new fan.

When was the last time the boiler was serviced and cleaned as per the manufacturer’s instructions?

My thoughts too, I just want some reassurance before fan purchase and replacement.

Regarding servicing/cleaning, I clean/flush the burner chamber and check probes/gaskets every summer. The only thing missing has been someone checking gas/air ratios which I don't want to touch but haven't found someone reliable yet. Ever year there is a bit of black soot in the chamber which I flush/clean. I understand this is a symptom of poor fuel burning but haven't seen someone be able to address it yet.

I've gotten much better results through this forum than relying on local "experts". One group quoted me $1000+ for my annual tune up. I haven't found someone who will get back to me or follow through when I tell them I have an old munchkin. The people that have reluctantly come out piddle around, don't fix or tune up anything, and then I have to come on here to ask questions and solve myself.

If anyone knows someone reliable around Sheboygan, WI, please share!

Thanks,

Luke
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Regarding cleaning: can you describe your procedure in doing it?

The reason that I ask is because very few people know to do it properly - including “technicians”.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited November 2021
    I have the same boiler in my basement; since 2007 and I've replaced both the blower assembly and the circuit board. It does both my heating and domestic hot water. I also service Munchkins here in the Bay Area.

Coffee grounds in the combustion chamber is normal. Unusual though, to have an erratic fan; usually they just fail and that's the end of it. These Munchkins usually last about 15 years, so the both of us are on borrowed time. The "end all" is when the heat exchanger fails; develops a hole and there's a continuous leak out the condensate drain line. I think you will need to replace the blower to get you through the winter.

Good that you do the maintenance as that will prolong the life of your heat exchanger.

That's embarrassing that we don't have any contractors listed in Wisconsin.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    lukenurn
  • lukenurn
    Ironman said:

Regarding cleaning: can you describe your procedure in doing it?

The reason that I ask is because very few people know to do it properly - including “technicians”.

-gently vac/remove debris from the boiler interior that comes through the vents (leaves, etc. not usually much)
    -open boiler burner door
    -inspect gaskets/probes/sensors
    -if needed, gently clean probes/sensors with green scrubby (both new so haven't done that since replacement)
    -vac out "coffee ground" soot
    -cover/protect back wall from contact/moisture
    -brash brush the exchanger in direction of the grooves
    -spray bottle the inside with water to rinse/wash
    -repeat water flush until condensate drainage is clean
    **This summer's cleaning I had a blockage occur when flushing out soot, so I took a vac to the drain end of the condensate line and sucked it out because I can't get to it due to it sitting on the ground. Drains like a dream now.

• lukenurn

Coffee grounds in the combustion chamber is normal. Unusual though, to have an erratic fan; usually they just fail and that's the end of it. These Munchkins usually last about 15 years, so the both of us are on borrowed time. The "end all" is when the heat exchanger fails; develops a hole and there's a continuous leak out the condensate drain line. I think you will need to replace the blower to get you through the winter.

Do we think it's the fan then? Fan speed error so maybe the blower is just on it's last leg?

Also would love advice from someone on who I could get in to check gas/air or do tune up on this beyond what I can do, or any tips on how to do it. I'm fine buying a few tools and picking up skills.

Thanks,

Luke