Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Domestic Water Manifold Opinions

JakeCK
JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
Looking for opinions on various manifolds for domestic water supply. I've seen the manabloc, not too sure about it. Would prefer copper. 

I'm debating replacing all the water lines in the basement because its a cluster and most of the valves are probably at minimum 60 years old. When I changed out the hot water tank I made the unfortunate mistake of touching one of those valves and it is now leaking on the wife's new washing machine. She is not happy.

I'm thinking of doing a home run setup using the two large spools of 1/2" blue and red pex I have left over coming from a manifold. 
I have a main floor powder room, basement 3/4 bath, upstairs full bath, kitchen with dish washer and fridge icemaker, laundry tub, washing machine and two outside spigots. The spigots I would keep on the 3/4 mains, same with the boiler feed. Instead of each fixture I would just go with a run to each room except the upstairs bathroom I want to have a port available for if/when I remodel that room. I would have the shower/tub with its own 1/2" supply lines. 

An eight port manifold for both hot and cold should cover everything.

Comments

• JakeCK
    No opinions or suggestions on manifolds?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    You can't just fix the packing in that valve?
    kcopp
  • JakeCK
    I already did about 5 years ago. When I get home I'll take pictures. Its all complete $***, you'll understand. 

In addition to leaking many don't even shut off entirely anymore. The hot shut off for the upstairs bathroom is like that. Last time I changed out the washer for the tub faucet I had to work fast...
  • JakeCK

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi @JakeCK , Have a look here: https://www.siouxchief.com/products/supply/powerpex-systems/astm-f1807/manifolds I'd stick with Uponor type expansion fittings rather than insert fittings for better flow. If you have adequate water pressure, you might be able to use 3/8" rather than 1/2" PEX. This will give much faster hot water delivery. ;)

Your, Larry
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    edited October 2021
    I was looking at this but it is discontinued. Supplyhouse has their inhouse brand "bluefin" but Idk if I trust their stuff. I was going to use clinch crimps since I already have the tool and a bunch of those. The advantage with a home run setup is that there are actually very few fittings so flow constriction should not be an issue.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Chief-672XV0810L-1-Fem-Sweat-x-Spin-Closed-Left-Manifold-1-2-PEX-Outlets-8-Outlets
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    3/8 should be plenty for all the faucet if runs are 70’ or less. 1/2 for tub fillers outdoor faucets. The smaller tube, as @Larry Weingarten mentioned will speed up hot water delivery

plenty of copper manifolds with or without ball valves. Sioux Chief, Alberta T drill, Watts Radiant are a few commonly stocked at wholesalers. Dahl mini ball valves look and work well. Remember low lead valves if you build your own
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    I might end up trying my hand at building my own. I need the practice sweating pipe anyways. 
  • JakeCK
    Can I use a radiant manifold for potable water? :s would think not because of lead issues.
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 110
    3/8" may work on city water? On 20-40psi well-water, 1/2" is just big enough. The cost difference is tiny.

I absolutely was glad I ripped-out most of Glen's drippy silty copper and did PEX. Bonus: scrap value of copper paid about half of the PEX-bits cost. And the coke-heads don't rip-out plastic pipes to support their habit.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Why is manifold plumbing uncommon? Saves labor and small tubes are stronger. Run 'em through conduits for easy replacement.

Is it noisier?
  • jinbtown
    jinbtown Member Posts: 40
    We have a ~100 year old house and a Manabloc was the best thing I ever did. Number of huge bonuses vs copper imo
    Pros: greatly simplify plumbing the basement, and homerunned every fixture on the first floor since I had access from below
    Individual shutoff valves that are replaceable, easily - Viega is a company that has been around forever and I trust that they'll be around til I'm dead.
    Flexibility for both hot and cold water on one manifold
    Simple/common sense means the next owner (or me in 5 years) won't be looking at it going "where does this line go/why is it plumbed like xyz"

this is the one I have Viega Manabloc 12 hot 18 cold

Only thing I notice is that I paid $219 for it in January of this year and it's up to $274, maybe shop around
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    The Viega is nice ... That was my pick and that's the one the plumbing sub chosen for the job always used anyway --

He said they are using more and more of the 3/8 .. faster hot and plenty of flow.