Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to program hydronic baseboard and gas fireplace in same room

Options
btvstan
btvstan Member Posts: 2
Hello,

We recently moved into a home that has hydronic baseboard heating, plus a gas fireplace with a blower in the living room. The living room has vaulted ceilings so the duel heat source is helpful in the winter. Each heating system is programmed by a separate programmable thermostat — one for baseboard and one for the fireplace. The baseboard is zoned to heat just the living room that is shared with the gas fireplace.

I am finding that the gas fireplace is often kicking on and heating the living room instead of the baseboard heaters. In fact, the baseboard heaters seem to not turn on at all when the gas fireplace is on. They are cool to the touch in the early mornings while the fireplace is on. We currently have both thermostats set to 71F with the baseboard turning on earlier than the gas fireplace.

For efficiency, I understand that the baseboard heaters are more efficient and I would prefer to use the baseboard as the primary heat source, and the gas fireplace as the secondary/supplementary heat source.

I wanted to ask the forum for suggestions on how to program each thermostat to optimize efficiency? If I can provide more info that would be helpful, I can do so.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    If the thermostats are very close to each other -- and they should be, or the control will be somewhat unpredictable -- set the gas fireplace to come on at a slightly lower temperature. That way the baseboards will come on and attempt to maintain their higher temperature, and the gas fireplace won't come on. Similarly, and you have already done this, make sure the baseboards come on to recover from your setback earlier. Also, make sure that the gas fireplace setback is considerably more than the baseboards.

You can always crank up one or the other if you're there and want to...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    btvstan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Or buy a two stage thermostat
  • btvstan
    btvstan Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, Jamie!