Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating Oil (prod 2) Anti-gel additive

mightytikigod
mightytikigod Member Posts: 13
Oil Tank Setup:
I have a 275g standard external above-ground oil tank. The oil lines (2: I have a recirculator) are exposed to the elements from tank to ground level, no insulation. They run just a few inches under the dirt along the foundation of the house approx. 15 ft. before going into the house where the foundation meets the slab. In my utility closet they come up through a hole in the floor (slab).

Background:
When collecting estimates for replacement of my furnace (which we are putting off until next year) the tech asked me if I ever had issues with my lines freezing up or clogging. Having just bought the home this past spring I have no known history to go by. I asked if the recirculator made a difference and he said, "not really." The tech said as a safety precaution to add a bottle of anti-gel to the tank each fill-up preparing for and during the cold weather months. Our nightly temperatures are dropping into the low 40s so I figured this would be a good time to start. We got our oil delivery today and the driver said their company doesn't supply any additives and that I should add it myself.

Question:
So long story short I'm looking for any input on recommended brands of fuel anti-gel and the approximate ratio of ounces to gallons so I can purchase the right size bottle. I scoured the internet and I see some that specify for diesel use; can/should this be used for heating oil as well?

Thanks in advance! You guys have been excellent in answering my oil heat related questions in the past and I can't thank you enough.

Comments