Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shower/Tub Faucet - Adding a hand shower question

Steve_in_NH
Steve_in_NH Member Posts: 70
I'm looking at a shower/tub faucet the has the diverter on the valve body. My question is can I choose to not installed the tub spout and instead connect a hand shower to the tub outlet? I'm worried about the pressure from the tub outlet being too much for the hand shower. Is there a way to plumb this so it will work correctly?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    The pressure is the same when everything is closed, it’s not an issue. But you’ll have to close the hand held to get water out of the top head.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Steve_in_NH
    I believe the way it works is that the value restricts the flow to the showerhead but not to the tub spout. So connecting a showerhead/handshower to the tub outlet would result in unrestricted flow to that fixture which they are not designed for and would damage them.

I think I could add a flow value for $100 that might work, but not sure. But also didn't know if there was a plumbing part that you could add to the line to restrict flow that would be hidden in the wall. Or other ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/KINGSTON-VB86920ZX-Millennium-Polished-Brass/dp/B00ATAMF86?th=1
    ....this is the faucet I'm looking at. They don't sell it without the tub spout. If i don't attach anything to the tub outlet then the button is just a dummy and doesn't do anything which I don't like.

This is the flow trim that i found for $100... https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Brass-KB3002AX-Control-Polished/dp/B003E2I8BY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1F3HPF37RTRD5&dchild=1&keywords=kingston+brass+volume+control&qid=1634654297&s=hi&sr=1-2&th=1
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    You’re confusing flow with pressure. On most every diverter, the spout and shower head ports are common to each other. Water is diverted to the head when the spout is closed.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Shower heads have a restrictor in them, the tub spout is an open pipe. You shouldn't need any special valves to accomplish your goal.

Not sure if you have to have that brand/style, but if I didn't need the tub spout I'd be buying from a company that makes what you want. It sounds like you want shower only, so why not buy that? Plenty of companies make that so you don't have to pay for a tub spout. I know some other brands actually disconnect the valve from the trim and sell separately so you can option and install in any fashion you want, more flexibility.

Or you could upgrade the shower with a toe tester using that tub spout. Many options, but you shouldn't need any special valving to accomplish your goal. You may need to buy an extra trim plate to trim out around the connection to the hand shower.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Steve_in_NH
    Thanks for the responses. Finding polished brass at this price is not easy. But ya I might have to go with a different brand/color.

Below is email from the manufacturer…

Michael (Kingston Brass, inc.)
    Oct 14, 2021, 13:28 MST

No you can't do that.

When you turn on the water pressure it will go full force and would shred the hand shower as they are not meant to run that hard.

You would want to speak to a plumber about how to add a hand shower to this type of shower faucet.
    Michael
    Support Team
    Tel: 1-877-252-7277 ext. 155
    Kingston Brass, Inc.
    12775 Reservoir St
    Chino, CA 91710
    P: 1-877-252-7277
    F: 909-548-6622
    www.kingstonbrass.com
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    you might want to shop elsewhere...
    KC_JonesTim Potter
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 897
    edited October 2021
    I am not sure just what you are looking for but here is one option that I use. If you are working with a combination tub/shower and want to keep the tub faucet and also have a shower plus a hand held with a hose, try this; Go to the Home Depot, Lowes, or a large hardware store and search for a "shower diverter". There are many different types. I use the Glacier Bay type that has a twist selector to choose from a standard shower to the hand held. You can also get one that has a holder so the hand held will double as a standard shower.
    PC7060
  • Steve_in_NH
    I found on another manufactures website what I was looking for. If you look at the link, Illustration 1, the picture on the right. They actually tell you to run the handshower from the showhead outlet and the showhead from the tub outlet.

Of course their cheapest products are in the $600 range and the one i like best is almost $1000.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Chicago faucet, T&S brass, and Gerber are also ones to look at. Kohler and American Standard might still make stuff like that too.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    what @retiredguy said - simple, safe and effective

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Or this, 2 in one set up. Not sure which other manufacturers may make something like this.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/58480-PR-PK.html
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15