Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

disk trap followed by bucket trap

pbraul
pbraul Member Posts: 2
Hi,
I run a small brewery and have noticed our installer put disk traps followed by bucket traps on all condensate returns. Is this a good idea? We have recently had issues with nearly all of the appliances and have only been running about 2 years. I have read this is double trapping and can cause issues and would consider removing the disk traps but feel a bit unqualified to make that call. Can you help?

Comments

• dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    The disk trap, is that what you normally call a thermodynamic steam trap.
    These traps are generally used on high pressure steam operations. Their capacity to drain condensate depends on the differential pressure between the inlet and outlet pressure at the trap. Example (inlet pressure 100 psi-outlet pressure 20 psig) the differential is 80 psig. When looking at the trap sizing capacity table you look at the 80 psi not 100.

Typically I would go for the bucket trap and no disk trap. TD traps work by the differential in temperature
    between the top of the **** and the bottom of the disk while a bucket trap operates on a float. The float will adjust o the volume of condensate flowing though the pipe whether a large amount or small amount of water quietly, while a disk trap will be clicking and clicking.

Jake

EBEBRATT-Ed
  • pbraul
    pbraul Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jake, that is very helpful. We are running low pressure steam so if it's safe I think our first step will be to remove all of the TD traps and fingers crossed our processes all improve! Cheers,
    Peter
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Agree with Jake
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    It is it is never a good idea to double trap a condensate return line. Condensate will back up. 
    Retired and loving it.